Civ 3 vs Civ 4

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Which has better Gameplay?

Civ 3 is better
No votes
Civ 4 is better
100%
They are roughly equal
No votes

Total votes: 15

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Civ 3 vs Civ 4

#1 Post by eleazar »

Suppose i was going to buy one of these, naturally as research into game mechanics which can be adapted or avoided in FO.
Which do you think has better gameplay? I'm not concerned with the best graphics... obviously Civ 4 wins in that category.

Amenhotep
Space Floater

Re: Civ 3 vs Civ 4

#2 Post by Amenhotep »

In my opinion Civ4 brings the best things with it.
A better diplomacy, specially in KI behaviour. The gameplay itself goes a bit...swifter
if you can say this....it feels like the KI is not cheating all the time to make and win wars against you.
Its pretty hard but fair, the gameflow is nice an "civlike" so in that point they are totally equal.
The building of an empire is all the same, since part 1. But Civ 4 brings you religions, which can be
additional diplomatic possibilities, in the expansion also "concerns" nearly the same like religions.
ans senates, a UN to vote vor some global things, such like "all civs have to have a freedom of religion"
or "stop war against XYZ..." such things...

So Civ 4 brings more features, looks better and the idea is the same...so its better^^

KingCook
Space Krill

#3 Post by KingCook »

I like the simplicity of civ 2 ^^

Flatline
Space Squid

#4 Post by Flatline »

Civ4 is better.
I prefer Civ3 just for a few things, like no infinite-radius nuclear missiles (so the possibility of "cold war" with lots of nuclear submarines just waiting to drop hell on earth :twisted:) and much more units (I know some of them were useless, but again... ;))

Civ4 wins.
The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage.
- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo [email protected] with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by eleazar »

I did just buy Civ4.

It seems brilliant, after having it a day. There's a lot i don't understand, but it seems that micromanagement is severely reduced. The new trade/resource model for instance, seems much more interesting, less trouble and easier to understand.

I may be busy with research for a while, and not post so much here.

MareviQ
Space Kraken

#6 Post by MareviQ »

eleazar wrote: I may be busy with research for a while, and not post so much here.
I know what you mean :mrgreen: you did find yourself a good research subject there. Though for absolute pinnacle, try finding a friend with another copy and play over lan... that's a whole day of serious researching gone without you noticing it :) (spoken from personal experience)
abs(imag(ME) / abs(ME)) = exp(PI) - PI - 19;

Flatline
Space Squid

#7 Post by Flatline »

Playing with a friend over hamachi. Really good research project I must say :mrgreen:
Earth with 18 civilizations and Roman Empire rules :D
The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage.
- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo [email protected] with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Tortanick »

Try the fall from heaven 2 mod, great mod with good gameplay, very different fractions and a dark world, not quite warhammer 40k dark but still a really nasty place to live. Pretty brilliant example of how you can have a story in a 4x game using only civopedia articles.

Mad
Space Krill

#9 Post by Mad »

I have chooese Civ V because it is the only Civ that I have played for Hours (maybe Civ I but this game I haved played for month :mrgreen: )

Mad