FreeOrion gfx for use in CivIII?

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Deth McBones
Space Krill

FreeOrion gfx for use in CivIII?

#1 Post by Deth McBones »

Hello all,

I have surfaced in these forums because I am currently creating a mod for Civilization III that is set in space.
I enjoyed Free Orion quite a bit, and find it extremely cool that you guys made this from scratch.

I am just wondering if I could use some of the pictures used by the game in my mod. Some of the pics make good Civpedia icons, and you guys have the best planet textures a Blender artist could ask for :) .

Thank you guys for your time.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrion gfx for use in CivIII?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Art included in FreeOrion distributions is released under the Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. You can rerelease it under a license compatible with that license, that meets the conditions outlined in it.

That means you must attribute the source of the art that you copy: "The FreeOrion Project" at minimum, and individual artist if possible (ie. make an effort, and only omit the individual artist credit when he or she cannot be determined). To determine who the artist is for a particular file, the best way would be to ask on the forums.

Inluding a url for the FreeOrion website would also be appropriate in a credits or license or "COPYING" file or credits listing in-game. I suggest "Portions of this work were produced for the FreeOrion project - http://www.freeorion.org". Posting here when you release your work would also be nice, so we know where the art is being used. There are probably also some Civ3 players posting or lurking.

Note that rereleasing CC-BY-SA 3.0 material as part of a collection of art does not require releasing all the material in the collection under the same license. (Rather, only the material you are copying under the terms of tye CC-BY-SA 3.0 must be rereleased under a compatible license).

Deth McBones
Space Krill

#3 Post by Deth McBones »

Okay, cool.

One last question, if I just use the gas giant pics as textures, do I still need to use that license?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Deth McBones wrote:One last question, if I just use the gas giant pics as textures, do I still need to use that license?
It doesn't matter what you use something for. If it's released under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license and if you want to rerelease it, you'll need to do so under compatible license terms.

Deth McBones
Space Krill

#5 Post by Deth McBones »

Alrighty then, I will do that.
Thank you guys very much!