Total War games

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Total War games

#1 Post by MikkoM »

“Total War is a historical, strategy game series developed by the Creative Assembly. Its games combine turn-based strategy and resource management, with real-time tactical control of battles.” (Quoted from wikipedia and slightly edited.) The series so far includes the following games:

Shogun: Total War

Medieval: Total War

Rome: Total War

Medieval II: Total War

Empire: Total War

Napoleon: Total War

Total War: Shogun 2

http://www.totalwar.com/

Apparently there is also a large modding community for the Total War games, which can be found here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php (However I am currently not too familiar with this site)

Are there other Total War fans here besides me?

I have been a fan of the Total War games from Medieval: Total War and have recently played quite a lot of Medieval II: Total War.

I am currently not that familiar with Empire: Total War, since I only played it briefly before going back to Medieval II: Total War, as I had finally found a good AI setting and enough time to focus on that great game. However Empire Total War might be the Total War game closest to space 4X games as it introduced things like direct technology research and diplomacy without having to move ambassadors around the map.

So what makes The Total War game series so enjoyable? For me it is the big, historical battles (thousands of men) that have always looked and sounded very good. I enjoy commanding my little soldiers in battle and watching them fight against enemies. And equally important is the ability to lead your historical faction to victory during long turn-based campaigns.

However I don`t consider The Total Wars to be perfect strategy games, as for example diplomacy in them is usually quite meaningless (might perhaps have something to do with the name Total War). Also the AI can sometimes be terribly annoying and stupid (patches usually help at least a little here).

One more problem that at least I have with Total War games is that the games themselves and their expansion packs are published so quickly after one another that I don`t have time for them all. I still have Rome: Total War Barbarian: Invasion in its plastic wrapping waiting for me, and I have barely scratched the surface of Empire: Total War.
Last edited by MikkoM on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TerranStarCommand
Krill Swarm

Re: Total War games

#2 Post by TerranStarCommand »

I was a QA tester for Rome:Total War and the expansion pack. Lots of fun.

Try loading up full armies of elephants vs. Peasants if you ever want a solid 30 minutes of laughter.
"I was boarded by Reavers and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#3 Post by xanoblivion »

TerranStarCommand wrote:I was a QA tester for Rome:Total War and the expansion pack. Lots of fun.

Try loading up full armies of elephants vs. Peasants if you ever want a solid 30 minutes of laughter.
Lmao. :idea: :twisted:

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#4 Post by MikkoM »

Added Napoleon: Total War to the list and also added a link to twcenter.net modding forum.