Is anybody fan of Stars! game ?

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

mithro
Space Floater

#31 Post by mithro »

Thousand Parsec is a game similar to Free Orion but much more heavily influenced by Stars!.

I would recommend checking it out if you are intrested in playing Stars! like clones and don't mine the lack of graphics.

Mithro
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Pasi
Space Squid

#32 Post by Pasi »

Few years back, I and few friends were talking about an idea of "porting" Stars! to PHP/mySQL application so that it could be played through a web UI ... it would be doable but we never had/have the time ...

it would of been so much simpler to set up a game via a web page (and you could of played it without ever installing any software) ...

Maybe some day ;)
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

mithro
Space Floater

#33 Post by mithro »

Thousand Parsec has a semi working PHP client library. I've done most of the hard work in getting it going.

You can find the code here http://darcs.thousandparsec.net/darcswe ... php;a=tree

One day I hope somebody will make a web client for Thousand Parsec. I had hoped somebody would do it for Google SoC, but I wasn't able to get any slots for the project.

If your intrested I can always show you what needs to be done :)
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Pasi
Space Squid

#34 Post by Pasi »

mithro wrote: If your intrested I can always show you what needs to be done :)
Thanks for the offer, but like I said, I'm busy (and been busy) for the past 2 years because of work, and wouldn't want to take another project to consume the already limited free time :(

Someday, when I win the lottery, I will leave my day job, buy a mansion near the coast and start writing code/scripts for games ;)

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#35 Post by Moriarty »

Stars! using PHP? How ingenious.
Most likely doable though I'm not sure how you'd get the star-map to work well (generting images dynamically is processor intensive). Maybe as part of the end-of-turn processing create an entire star-system map for each player and they could scroll around like google maps.

How did you envision it?.

Pasi
Space Squid

#36 Post by Pasi »

Moriarty wrote:Stars! using PHP? How ingenious.
Most likely doable though I'm not sure how you'd get the star-map to work well (generting images dynamically is processor intensive). Maybe as part of the end-of-turn processing create an entire star-system map for each player and they could scroll around like google maps.

How did you envision it?.
Map could use inline frames for scrolling, and it would probably need to be generated by per turn basis dynamicaly, and planet/fleet/object selection would have to use an image map ... also some dynamic effects could be created with static images that are placed over the map with CSS ....

haven't given it much though :?