I am searching players for MoO3 online

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

DeathAndPain
Banned

I am searching players for MoO3 online

#1 Post by DeathAndPain »

Is anybody still playing MoO3 online? I know, compared to its predecessor the game is pretty bad, so spare me with comments on its quality. I am still of the opinion that it is fun, and I have found one other player with whom I regularly play it on Sundays.

We would like to have more players participate in our games. However, on GameSpy you rarely meet players online, and when you do they usually have played the game only in singleplayer so far, lacking both experience to play at reasonable skill and getting it to work with multiplayer at all (installing patch 1.2.5, installing BudMod etc.).

Well, they can learn these things. But the most important trait that all the other players I meet there lack is:

Reliability.

Several times I had ppl be enthusiastic at first to start a game with me, but then, after some 15 minutes of playing, they apparently had a change of mind and commentlessly exited. However, MoO3 games often last a nice number of hours, which normally cannot be covered on one day. So you should be willing to continue games over several Sundays (with a few hours playing time per Sunday). And you should reliably come to resume the game one week later (or send an email early when you will not have time, which should be the exception). Unfortunately that condition seems to filter out most people.

Furthermore, you should have mastered your computer and MoO3 to an extent that:

- you can start and play MoO3 over a longer time without your machine or internet connection crashing
- you have patch 1.2.5 installed
- you have Budmod installed or can install it if I make it available for download. This involves copying files into certain directories, so you need to be able to find directories within the Windows Explorer.
- your MoO3 experience from singleplayer mode suffices to deal with "Hard" computer players. It is no fun if after two hours of playing (but still before establishing contact) we get the message that you have exited, because the AI has slaughtered you.
- it would also be helpful if you knew where the ingame chat window is hidden (on the main galaxy map). However, I can tell you if you do not know yet. Just remind me to do so before we start, or you might end up unable to ask me because you cannot find it when the game has started.

If anybody is interested in joining our Sunday rounds, please send me a PM.
give a man a fire keep him warm for a day, light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

I tried to get a game going back when the project first started and nobody was interested. I'd volunteer but I'm not available for another month or so at least.

Good luck, though -- I think MOO3 did a couple things right and certainly has some value to it!
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

DeathAndPain
Banned

#3 Post by DeathAndPain »

The other guy and I have been playing MoO3 that way for several months (about half a year I would estimate), so when you have time and want to participate make sure to let me know. Even if it is not earlier than in two months there is a good chance you will be able to join our games.
give a man a fire keep him warm for a day, light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.