What Should Master of Orion IV be Like?

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Gunsan
Space Floater

What Should Master of Orion IV be Like?

#1 Post by Gunsan »

I want to start this thread to discuss how you would like Master of Orion IV to turn out when design on a sequel starts out someday in the future. I'm hopeful it's actually going to happen. The franchise is nothing like dead and buried, considering how many people still mourn the game they never got a year and a half after the traumatic release of MOO III.

It's late and I'm rather tired so for now I'll go easy on the gas.

First of all, the name. Obviously, it's got to be Master of Orion IV: The Return to Orion. 8)

All of the 13 MOO II races should be in, and then you could add some new ones. I'd advise the new races NOT to try and mimic more earth animals, like a dog race, cat race, bird race... zebra race, what have you etc, but the attempt should be to design fun and wild alien species that presumably would all more or less be carbon based.
Also, NO human derived races among the new ones! I personally hate games that feature some ethereal humanoids with angel wings and flaming eyes! Think something that would be consistent with evolution instead, please! The Elerians are quite enough in my opinion (not to mention how cool they are).

It should be light-hearted and somewhat humourous in the grand MOO tradition, I think.

There must be an absolute ban on star lanes!!! Such a silly idea.

Naturally, you should be able to design your own ships and the interface must be intuitive and involving. No more of that "getting-away-from-micromanagement" junk, which of course does not mean that designers should not put an effort in dealing with the threat of late game management nightmares.

It should include an intricate and challenging spy model. One of the few things MOO II lacked.

It should also feature a much improved diplomacy model over MOO II. Nowadays you can't get away with games where the aliens will attack you whatever you do, only ten turns later, or never be able to sue for peace of the lasting kind, once a war has started.

Well, that's all for now. Got to get some sleep for the moment. Will be back tomorrow. 8)
Last edited by Gunsan on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by That Guy »

My only problem with all that is you are just complaining, and not really giving solutions. When you say that you want to design a ship and have intuitive interface, you don't realize how hard it is too do that. You aren't saying "Do this, it will make it better" and then backing it up. You are saying "make it better." We all know what went wrong with MOO3, it is why we are here. Just like the spy thing, if you have ideas on what you would like to see, then tell us, it might even be included, after debate. Same for diplomacy.

As for the other stuff, it is all superfical graphics and content.

But if you have ideas and thoughts on THIS project, feel free to use the brainstorming forum. Another POV is good. Just see FO as MOO4 when posting... :)
And this isn't an attack, though I realize some of it sounds abit hostile.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Gunsan
Space Floater

#3 Post by Gunsan »

Hello, That Guy and thanks for your comments! No, I wouldn't think I'm only complaining, rather staking out ground and setting priorities.
Neither am I putting impossible requirements on things like the interface. I'm basically only saying that MOO II succeeded brilliantly with that task, and it's there to learn from.
When it comes to the spying thing I don't have any good ideas in that department, but someone else would have them. I have ideas for other areas. People who have played MOO I for instance and have pondered these questions could offer their suggestions on the subject.

The invitation to join the Brain Storming board is flattering, yet this thread is not about Free Orion but MOO IV, so it's another discussion, not to mention the fact that Free Orion is mostly a finished product. Free Orion will have star lanes for example, something I'm convinced no one would have expected for MOO III and very few people actually like, and since MOO IV is essentially about making MOO 2.5, picking up the broken continuity, those should be out in my opinion.

So, let's get back on track here... 8)

drek
Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by drek »

This board is about Freeorion not Moo IV.

The Apolyton boards or the Atari moo3 boards might be more appopriate.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by Aquitaine »

Yup. thread closed.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!