Shipyard Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Unnamed
Space Floater

Shipyard Icons

#1 Post by Unnamed »

Some random icons that could be used for shipyards.
shipyard_01.png
shipyard_01.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
shipyard_02.png
shipyard_02.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
shipyard_03.png
shipyard_03.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 8120 times

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: Shipyard Icons

#2 Post by dbenage-cx »

Very nice, I'm already calling them Sonic, TheLunchbox, and X-Yard

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Oh my gosh! I don't know if I can express how nice these are: I actually almost cried seeing them.

I love them all!

Thoughts:
  • I think Shipyard 1 (sonic) should be the new "shipyard" icon.
  • The current shipyard (tall boy?) the "orbital drydock".
  • Shipyard 2 (the lunchbox) the "advanced engineering" shipyard.
  • And Shipyard 3 (x-yard) the "nanorobotic" shipyard.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#4 Post by Unnamed »

I haven't thought about using the first icon for the basic "shipyard". That would probably fit best.

I made some more icons, but these ones don't really look like shipyards. Maybe they are still usefull.
station_01.png
station_01.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 8098 times
station03.png
station03.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 8098 times
station04.png
station04.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 8098 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

I've been tempted several times to work out specs for some sort of space station mechanic, but have never worked out what for or how to do it, they ought to exist and do something, but I don't know what, so having some art is fine as it means someone might then have an idea ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#6 Post by labgnome »

My thought on in-game space stations has always been non-mobile "ships". Basically "guardian monster" type entities for the players...

... actually I just had an idea (literally as I typed that firs sentence). In EVE online space-stations are a part of their "sovereignty" mechanic. Non-overlapping supply has bugged me lately, but it's nice to create "borders". If we did stations like ships, and made at least one of them cheap enough, we could use them to create "borders" using the hide/hold mechanic, but also allow access points. It might be micromanage-y but I can also see all sorts of tactical possibilities. IE: you could intentionally leave a "hole" in your border to lure enemy forces into a trap :twisted:

FYI: the bioteror lab and other other buildings are described or used in such a way they might be better depicted as space-stations.

If you want applicable shipyards: station03 (space top) could be geo-intigration (maybe) and station04 (doughnut-flower) could be one of the energy-ship shipyards (it looks weird enough). Also after taking a closer-look: is the x-yard supposed to have an asteroid in the middle? If so it should be one of the asteroid yards.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#7 Post by labgnome »

If you have properly large versions of those stations, I'd love to try my hand at sticking some slots on them graphically, to get people excited about the idea of space stations. That is: if we are going to go the ship-variant rout.

I may also clumsily attempt to script something for them. Fair warning: slot placement in my scripting and in my art will not match-up if I do both.