Tech Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Tech Icons

#331 Post by pd »

Yeah and Geoff will probably throw another 100 techs on us then, hrhr :)
It didn't work as in it wasn't good at lower resolution or it didn't convey the idea well? Out of Josh's latest batch that was probably my favorite, I really liked that one.
I looked at it and didn't recognize anything. I looked at it again, zoomed in and got a very rough grasp of what it might be, still trying to figure out what those fragments in a circle are doing. I was then reading the description but still had my problems with it. I am very aware, that this is a tough tech to make an icon for and if it would at least be stronger artistically, I would have probably commited it, but it's weak IMO and I had no idea what this is about when looking at it the first times.

Josh
Graphics

#332 Post by Josh »

In my defense, it looked cooler in my head.

edit:
Economic Etherealization made simple
It's the same idea, made simpler and therefore better.

Stabilized Hypergrowth
it has a nice silhouette, yes?

Deep Green
The tech listing has gotten me concerned with strong silhouetting, so the trend now is to have as little as possible going on, and making sure they work at small sizes too. The Cog represents machinery and computing, the eye represents artificial intelligence.

Good job with self gravitating structures that's about to be made after this post.
Last edited by Josh on Thu May 29, 2008 10:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#333 Post by pd »

Self-Gravitating Structures has been commited.
ImageImage

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#334 Post by Nighthawk »

Planetary Ring

Galactic Infrastructure

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#335 Post by shrinkshooter »

I'd have to say that those need to be improved a bit. They don't seem to be antialiased for one thing, and they're asymmetrical for another.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

MrV
Space Floater

#336 Post by MrV »

New icons:

Distributed Thought.

Planetary Ring.

Galactic Infrastructure.

Deep Green (if we make a FO money-icon at some point, it would replace the $)

Stabilised Hypergrowth.

Orbital things:

Image Image Image
Orbital: Factories, Generation, Gardens

Replacement suggestions:

Image Image
Urban Farming, Temporal Mechanics.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#337 Post by pd »

I am happy with and have committed planetary ring, orbital factories, orbital generation, orbital gardens, galactic infrastructure, urban farming.

I've also combined the previous temporal mechanics with your version to get this one:
Both, yours and Josh's version failed at smaller resolutions(hourglass no longer recognizable). Currently tech icons are shown at 50% their intended size, wich I'm not too happy with, but we have to deal with it. So, it's always a good idea and make sure the icons work at 50%.

Deep green, could use the economics category icon, instead of the dollar sign - similar to economic fluidity.

Stabilized hypergrowth and distributed thought only need tiny fixes. A 1px outline is just not enough to seperate the shapes, especially at 50%. Just increace the outlines for the heads(use less heads if necessary) and the infinity symbol and you should be done.

edit: These are no longer used, but could be converted to something else:
Image - It's a pity, if this one goes to the junkyard(and stays there).

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#338 Post by pd »

Josh wrote: Image
Stabilized Hypergrowth
Deep Green
I've totally missed these. They are great. I like stabilized hypergrowth even better than MrV's version. Deep Green is great from an artistic point. Usage of the eye for forsight is interesting too, but the icon itself doesn't reveal(to me) that it's about an economic super computer.

Josh
Graphics

#339 Post by Josh »

Wait, totally missed? Lol. That answers a few questions.

MrV
Space Floater

#340 Post by MrV »

pd wrote:
Josh wrote: Image
Stabilized Hypergrowth
Deep Green
I've totally missed these.
That makes two of us :P
- I especially like Deep Green, though I fail to draw a connection to economy. Which isn't a problem since it will still be inside the economy category (If the techs will have colour overlays representing their categories, anyway).

- Stabilized Hypergrowth is much, much nicer looking than the thing I tossed together, but! Nitpick: the graph falls from the top - a normal behaviour, but one which SH would replace with continuous growth.

Edit:
Image Image
Distributed Thought outlines and horizontal bar enlarged a little bit, same with this version of StabHyp.

Josh
Graphics

#341 Post by Josh »

Hold on... Could you replace the paradise planet icon with the (former) orbital gardens one? If you still want to keep it, that's the most logical place I can see right now.

Also, the category icon for ships (as always) needs to be addressed. I've had no luck, but there is plenty of work abound.

Ship Icons

These are the old FO ships, if you can recognize them.
Last edited by Josh on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#342 Post by pd »

Thanks for the changes MrV.
Could you replace the paradise planet icon with the (former) orbital gardens one?
Good idea, I guess this could work. It definitely has an Eden-like feeling. Maybe the description should be changed towards recreation/recovery instead of "pleasure seeking" in this case?

Josh
Graphics

#343 Post by Josh »

Or we could make a new icon. Paradise planet has one of the worst pictures, it should be replaced or improved eventually.

Also, while were changing descriptions, the old orbital gardens description doesn't seem right anymore with the new (correct) picture.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#344 Post by Tortanick »

pd wrote:Thanks for the changes MrV.
Could you replace the paradise planet icon with the (former) orbital gardens one?
Good idea, I guess this could work. It definitely has an Eden-like feeling. Maybe the description should be changed towards recreation/recovery instead of "pleasure seeking" in this case?
I actually don't get the old orbital gardens at all, I just don't see anything in it.
Josh wrote:Or we could make a new icon. Paradise planet has one of the worst pictures, it should be replaced or improved eventually.
And I do like that one, the silhouette drink might look better as a solid drink though.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#345 Post by pd »

Tortanick wrote: I actually don't get the old orbital gardens at all, I just don't see anything in it.
You don't see a crescent-shaped planet, leaves and a fruit?