Quick Request: Buildings List

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Quick Request: Buildings List

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Hi,

In preparation for the 0.3 release there are some other smaller things (in time to code, not in importance) that need to be implemented.

We need an artist to provide a quick mockup for listing the buildings that are currently constructed on a planet. I'm imagining this list will be displayed when you click on a planet. It may also be useful to have an indicator on a planet that lets you know that there are one or more planets currently constructed.

This is just a temporary screen for 0.3. It *will* be changed in later releases so we just need something quick as a guide to build off.

Thanks again

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

From the production screen design thread, there is my suggest of listing the buidlings as smaller boxes underneath planet boxes on the sidepanel

viewtopic.php?p=19752#19752

There's also Obiwan's mockup on that thread, which (I think?) did essentially the same thing, though was less developed:

viewtopic.php?p=19894#19894

IMO putting the list (only) on a separate screen you have to click more to get to would be too inconvenient.

I'm aware there's vertical space concerns on the sidepanel, hence the suggestion to have a show/hide buildings button, amongst others, on a button bar above the scrollable list.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

So what every happened to buildings?
I noticed there are many building descriptions in a text file that comes with the game, but they can't be built.

I'd heard that fewer buildings will actually be constructed on planet than originally planned, but i doubt that number has gone down to none.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

I think we aren't planning on having many buildings, except those that are built in small numbers, eg ship yards will not be on every planet but strategic ones.

eleazar

#5 Post by eleazar »

utilae wrote:I think we aren't planning on having many buildings, except those that are built in small numbers, eg ship yards will not be on every planet but strategic ones.
Yeah, but that doesn't really answer my questions.
Why have them been (apparently) dropped from 0.3?
What's the new plan for buildings?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by Tyreth »

Buildings are implemented. Check out, for example, the living planet in the growth tree.

eleazar

#7 Post by eleazar »

OK, it took me till turn 101 and i got a building. :lol:
But aside from the sitrep message there was no indication that the building existed anywere.

So we still need an interface to show buildings.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

Yes, there's still a fair bit of UI work to make these things obvious and friendly.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:So we still need an interface to show buildings.
I figured putting them on the sidepanel would be good, since there are supposed to be fairly few of them and they're supposed to be fairly important...

http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19752#19752

eleazar

#10 Post by eleazar »

So buildings are more like civ's "Wonders" or "Small Wonders"?
Calling them just "buildings" IMHO portays a much more mundane idea.

I'll probably look into how to display them later.