Visual Cues onHover

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
streppa
Space Krill

Visual Cues onHover

#1 Post by streppa »

Great project guys, it's wicked sweet.

I had suggestion though. It's generally a good idea in any application that when your cursor is over something that can be clicked some sort of visual indicator appears. Whether that be the item getting highlighted or changing to a brighter color, or what have you. It would also help with any disambiguity when clicking on either the planets or the ships.

Just my two cents.

Thanks!

Scott

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Mouseover highlighting already happens with buttons (via brightness change) and fleet icons by enlarging.

I've been suggesting for a while that it happen more in general.

One place in particular where it's needed is on the galaxy map for system icons, especially at far-out zoom levels at which the clickable area of a star icon becomes quite small and actually clicking the system, even when you know you want to, can be difficult.

It would be better if the fleet icon highlighting was brightness-based, rather that size based, as the size is confusing because it hides the area of the screen in which clicking would select the fleet (by actually changing the size of the clickable icon).

When a fleet window is open, there should also be a line indicating the movement path that a fleet would take if a move order was given whenever the mouse is over another system.

Techs on the tree on the Research Screen tech tree or queue should also highlight when moused over, if they are enqueuable in particular.

Planets on the sidepanel should semi-highlight when moused over if they are selectable, as when the Production Screen is open (though not otherwise).

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by tzlaine »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Mouseover highlighting already happens with buttons (via brightness change) and fleet icons by enlarging.

I've been suggesting for a while that it happen more in general.

One place in particular where it's needed is on the galaxy map for system icons, especially at far-out zoom levels at which the clickable area of a star icon becomes quite small and actually clicking the system, even when you know you want to, can be difficult.

It would be better if the fleet icon highlighting was brightness-based, rather that size based, as the size is confusing because it hides the area of the screen in which clicking would select the fleet (by actually changing the size of the clickable icon).
I've actually been doing some work along these lines while integrating the recent GG changes into the FO codebase. More could still be done, of course, as you say.
When a fleet window is open, there should also be a line indicating the movement path that a fleet would take if a move order was given whenever the mouse is over another system.

Techs on the tree on the Research Screen tech tree or queue should also highlight when moused over, if they are enqueuable in particular.

Planets on the sidepanel should semi-highlight when moused over if they are selectable, as when the Production Screen is open (though not otherwise).
Are these feature requests in the SourceForge tracker?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

tzlaine wrote:Are these feature requests in the SourceForge tracker?
Some of them:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=544945

But in general, as said in the other thread, I've stopped putting up feature requests and changed to forum posts on relevant threads.