What Does FO need graphically at this point?

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

What Does FO need graphically at this point?

#1 Post by LonghornXtreme »

Subject says it all... I'd like to contribute, but it would help to have a little preplanning instead of just making random sci fi themed art....

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

Combat is the next big thing. So that would include ship models, icons for battle management (though we'd need a UI design for this first), and anything else related. Ships in 3ds is the best format, I believe.

There's still plenty of things in the tech tree which are lacking icons which would be good to fill out:
viewtopic.php?t=1044

Combat is mainly waiting upon the completion of the 0.4 design document.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

Techicons, techicons, techicons...

Please do NOT create any combat related work yet, it could easily be for nothing, since we don't anything specific about the engine.
What you could create is concept art, though.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Some generic-looking building icons would also be good. These should be 128 x 128, but look good at 64 x 64 or 32 x 32, and would do double-duty as the tech icon for a building tech, and the icon to represent instances of the building itself in the game world / UI.

Special icons would also be nice... These should look good at 16 x 16, 24 x 24 or 32 x 32, and look quite distinctive... Distinctive more so than clear, as likely a mouse rollover popup would explain what each is. These would be placed on the sidepanel below planet pictures, building icons, or perhaps star icons on the map or sidepanel, or ships or fleets even... anything that can have a special attached to it. They'd indicate the presence of a special, and be distinct so the user can, after some practice, recognize the special without rolling over it, but since they need to be rather small, don't need to fully convey meaning as much as be distinctive.

Also, because I just think it might be eventually useful, some "medals" or "awards" or "rank insignia" in icon form might be nice. I'm thinking of something like these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11