REVIEW: Buttons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

REVIEW: Buttons

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Well, there's been public design for long enough. Now we need to decide which designs to use. We can pick and choose from the various designs.

We need a layout for the following widgets:
* buttons
* radio buttons
* scrollbars
* sliders
* +/- buttons
* checkboxes
* listboxes

Buttons is the primary focus for this review, but people offered other designs as well, so it would be nice to have something semi-official for them. If you have other design suggestions at a later date, then we can consider them. The artwork will evolve as the project goes on, but for now we need to make a decision.

So these are the options, pick and choose what you like:
Image 1 - http://www.drektopia.com/textbuttons.png
Image 2 - http://80.74.133.186/pix/box_example5i.gif
Image 3 - http://www.mogsoft.de/fo/buttons2.gif

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

#2 Post by OceanMachine »

I like the 3rd one best in all respects, except for the font for the title of the menu window (FUN WITH BUTTONS)..
Programming Lead

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Impaler »

I like Number 2, but I would like an option to change the color. I personaly like the green and think it would be cool as the "official" color but I am shure other people will want to change it (especialy to match their Empire Color)
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by jbarcz1 »

I vote for number 3
Empire Team Lead

tsev
Space Kraken

#5 Post by tsev »

I vote for 3

Except I really think the way the choice is selected in the listbox is really distracting....and it hurts my eyes. I'd rather see a solid color background on the selected text. Maybe white background on black text.
FreeOrion Programmer

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by tzlaine »

I vote for #3. In fact, I've already written the code for Button, Scroll, and ListBox in this style (without the wierd hiliting). I'm currently working on DropDownList, and after that I'll be doing StateButton (checkboxes and radio buttons).

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#7 Post by Nightfish »

3 looks fine to me, too. I'll just swim with the current on this one, as an old nightfishian proverb says.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

I prefer the dropdown box of image 1. The extra box around the arrow in image 3 seems unecessary and bulky

I like the radio buttons from 3, and the checkboxes, but the buttons seem too busy. The arrows inside the box seem redundant, but the color is nice.

I like the scrollbar of 3. The listbox is ok, but I think it's painful like tsev said. It might look good if it was a transparent box that made the text of the selected entry either a little brighter or a little darker, and maybe one of the green arrows at the left side of the selected entry.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#9 Post by Aquitaine »

I'm with Drek on this one. I like the radio buttons and the bottom row of #3, but not the larger boxes, the fun with butons font, or the strikethru highlight on yetanother. #1 is cleaner but the shapes seem a bit bulky.

so #1 and #3. :)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

The Silent One
Graphics

#10 Post by The Silent One »

mhhh... #3 has a consistent look... I like it best.

Neuromancer
Krill Swarm

#11 Post by Neuromancer »

I vote for 3.
... seeker of the Unseekable

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by utilae »

I like 2, also I second the idea of being able to change colours. If the default was the colour for your race it would be cool.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#13 Post by That Guy »

I also like 2, the upper most buttons look like they could be abit like an alien interface. It would be cool it most of the game had the look of something like a Borg terminal(but in english and not circle letters or whatever)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by Tyreth »

Image 3 is now the official design for buttons, and the guideline for other widgets.