Display of Starlanes and Supply Line in the Galaxy Map

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Display of Starlanes and Supply Line in the Galaxy Map

#16 Post by eleazar »

I noticed that the way supply lines are drawn can give away information.
supply lines.jpg
supply lines.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Notice all lines stop short of "A", but happily go all the way to "B" and all the other systems. Since this is turn 1, it is indirectly informing me that there's a space monster or hostile fleet at "A". That takes a little excitement from exploration.

I suggest any unexplored/unknown systems should be treated the same way as hostile systems: supply lines of both types should not go through them. Our virtual, abstracted transports shouldn't go into utterly unknown systems.

Of course it is possible later in the game that the player would get information of where ships might be from supply lines being cut off, but that at least can have a reasonable in-game explanation: If our abstracted transports are suddenly getting blocked/destroyed, their absence would be noticed.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#17 Post by Bigjoe5 »

That's odd. I thought that supply lines were drawn by the client, and therefore couldn't provide any information that the player isn't supposed to have. I guess I was mistaken.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The server sends a list of all resource and supply line connections (starlane traversals) that the player's empire can make. Empires can't send supplies through systems containing hostile ships, so this will be visible to attentive players from their missing resource sharing lanes in the UI. This is intentional, and doesn't involve the client knowing any more than it should.

Currently it seems to be allowing supply line connections to systems the player hasn't explored (have had at least partial visibility of at some point), which as eleazar notes, it probably shouldn't.

Edit: changed so that unexplored systems block resource supply. Don't know what happens with fleet supply... /Edit