Two low-poly transport models

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
MareviQ
Space Kraken

Two low-poly transport models

#1 Post by MareviQ »

Okay, just got an idea for a transport ship and well... I just _had_ to make it and post it here, along with my old transport model... that just sort of got forgotten until now. Well, here goes:

Transport 01
ImageImage
With a poly count of 256 faces, this is supposed to be a huge, slow colony ship or something similar.

Transport 02
ImageImage
This one is a little simpler, with only 186 faces, and is supposed to be something like a troop carrier. It looks a bit weird here, but with gouard shading for some faces and typical in-game light setup this should look like a proper ship from all angles.

The Silent One
Graphics

#2 Post by The Silent One »

I like the hull of transport #2; it'd look better if it had a more defined drive section. What's the deck for? - Maybe it could be a carrier of some sort, with fighters on the top.

noelte
Juggernaut

#3 Post by noelte »

I don't try to be offending, but your >>model<< has much to less detail to talk about it at all.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

MareviQ
Space Kraken

#4 Post by MareviQ »

I don't try to be offending, but your >>model<< has much to less detail to talk about it at all.
Yup, I know, but that's because:
1) I don't really know what constraints should be put on the amount of polygons, so I go as low as I can.
2) textures change a _LOT_ and these are untextured... All you see now is just the basic shape. A bumpmap, a normalmap or a colormap will change a lot.
3) I'm no modeling expert, but I believe it's easier to go from low-poly to high-poly than the other way around (It's because once I tried to do it the other way around and failed miserably) so if it's decided when the 3D battle system arrives that these ships can double their polygon count, I'll be happy to do that. Right now they're kept in a way that allows me easy modification (only half the mesh actually exists and it's still made with quads, not tris)

The Silent One
Graphics

#5 Post by The Silent One »

MareviQ wrote:I don't really know what constraints should be put on the amount of polygons, so I go as low as I can.
Tzlaine said on several occasions that you don't have to care about polygon numbers, so don't bother about it.