I'd also like to take part

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Josh
Graphics

I'd also like to take part

#1 Post by Josh »

Hi my name is Josh.
I joined because I'm an artist interested in giving a hand in helping contribute graphics, conceptual artwork, critiques, and ideas to the project. I have a basic understanding of photo shop, but traditional media comes easily to me, so If anybody has requests in mind, especially a those needs for hand-made drawings, concepts or critiques, I could give it a shot.

I understand you guys want the Icons completed. Like all of them. I'd like to get some questions answered first though if it's not too much trouble.

How abstract is too abstract in the icons?

What sort of theme needs to be adhered to when designing an Icon? The N-Dimension techs have that abstract triangle thingie, and (most) economic techs have a graph in the background.

And what about revising some of the icons? Some of them seem confusing, weak, lack unity, read poorly to me or could just stand improvement.

Opinions are welcome.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: I'd also like to take part

#2 Post by pd »

Josh wrote:Hi my name is Josh.
I joined because I'm an artist interested in giving a hand in helping contribute graphics, conceptual artwork, critiques, and ideas to the project. I have a basic understanding of photo shop, but traditional media comes easily to me, so If anybody has requests in mind, especially a those needs for hand-made drawings, concepts or critiques, I could give it a shot.
Welcome Josh, concept artists are always welcome. If you are mainly working traditional, that's great. Having a strong traditional skill set is essential, even when working digitally. As you might have noticed, we are currently preparing version 0.4 which is mostly about space combat. Therefor we will need a couple of(I'd aim for a dozen for v0.4 | 2 races, 6 hulls each)ships designed. I'm planing to do this, but I definitely could need some help. If you like, you could just browse through the story forum, pick a race you like and start something from there. Nothing is set in stone, you are free to change whatever you think needs to be changed.
I understand you guys want the Icons completed. Like all of them. I'd like to get some questions answered first though if it's not too much trouble
There aren't that many missing from my understanding(only the hard ones :). I'll see if I can put a complete list of all finished icons into the wiki.
How abstract is too abstract in the icons?
Too abstract is, if the meaning is not clear. We have some pretty specialized term here and it's hard to simplify them in many cases.
What sort of theme needs to be adhered to when designing an Icon? The N-Dimension techs have that abstract triangle thingie, and (most) economic techs have a graph in the background.
The only theme is: black background, bright shapes, as few shades as possible, logo not picture.
And what about revising some of the icons? Some of them seem confusing, weak, lack unity, read poorly to me or could just stand improvement.
Go for it. It's the nature of a project like this that things get replaced by better alternatives. However, the focus should still be on filling the gaps, instead of endlessly redoing existing work.

I hope you don't mind me asking, whether you have any of your previous work online somewhere? It's always a nice way for an artist to introduce himself IMO.

Josh
Graphics

#3 Post by Josh »

I'm afraid not. No. Don't remember posting any other online work. I'm an illustration student, not a super professional like the guys you'll find a conceptart.org or even a regular online artist. I will submit some scans from my sketchbook to give you an idea of where I'm at skillwise and what I'm capable of.

As a side note, I would like to post more of these pictures in a way that's easy for forum users to view, the same way tech icons were posted in the tech icon thread. I want the images to look like part of the message, not some lame attachment. So for future reference, is there a way I should go about doing that? Especially if I'm going to submit hand drawn artwork.
Attachments
#36.1.jpg
#36.1.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
#99.1.jpg
#99.1.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
#77.1.jpg
#77.1.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 3725 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

To put images in a post, instead of as attachments, you'll need to have the images online somewhere that allows embedding in other webpages. Flickr and various other sites allow this, I believe.

Once you have the image on the net, and can get a url that points to it, you add to the message text something like:

[img]http://www.somesite.org/path/to/yourpic.jpg[/img]

One of the buttons at the top of the posting screen is "Img" which surround the selected text (ie. your url) with these tags for you, if you don't want to type them yourself.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

Josh wrote:I'm afraid not. No. Don't remember posting any other online work. I'm an illustration student, not a super professional like the guys you'll find a conceptart.org or even a regular online artist. I will submit some scans from my sketchbook to give you an idea of where I'm at skillwise and what I'm capable of.
Those are really nice, a bit small though :) I love your work on the line weight.
As a side note, I would like to post more of these pictures in a way that's easy for forum users to view, the same way tech icons were posted in the tech icon thread. I want the images to look like part of the message, not some lame attachment. So for future reference, is there a way I should go about doing that? Especially if I'm going to submit hand drawn artwork.
Check out this post: viewtopic.php?p=23976#p23976

I've set up a photobucket account for freeorion some time ago for people who don't have webspace. Feel free to use it.

Josh
Graphics

No subject

#6 Post by Josh »

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll do that photo bucket thing PD said to do. Now for the stuff you want to hear; I come bearing gifts!

They are all scanned from my sketchbook and all they need now is for someone to translate them into computer graphics. If when I upload the pictures you can't see or read the words or the pictures don't make sense to you for whatever reason, the list of submitted icon designs contained therein will be as follows:

N-Dimension Assembly (Attached)

Transforming Structures

Transforming Structures + Economic Sinkholes

Economic Sinkholes

Economic Sinkholes and Miniature Suns

A Miniature Sun, Miniature Suns, Assorted Icons and PsiCor

The Psi Corps + An Artificial Black Hole

Void Enclave

Exodus Monument and Megaliths

I have added one sample attachment. The rest, I hope, will be able to go towards PD's photobucket.

I'm assuming everybody is seeing those pictures I posted here previously. If there's a problem, another heads up will do.
Attachments
Sketchbook 1 001.jpg
Sketchbook 1 001.jpg (219.15 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Last edited by Josh on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

Hi Josh,

I've been editing your post to show the pictures. What you need to do is just copy the last link, labeled IMG Code and inssert it here.

That's some fantastic and quite a lot of work you've done here. Thanks a lot. I'm a bit busy this week, I hope to be able to work on them on weekend, if there isn't anyone else interested. Great work, keep going :)

The Silent One
Graphics

#8 Post by The Silent One »

N-Dimensional Assembly

Exodus Monument

(Will supply images with transparent background on demand)

Transforming Structures
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Josh
Graphics

#9 Post by Josh »

Looks like the pictures are working out then. What's really important is that they look good when they get put in the game. You can probably tell that I haven't tested out any of these icons yet.

Thanks for editing the image stuff too.

I have more work to showcase, but Photobucket is experiencing some downtime. Something about site maintenance and a giant lizard.

Anyways, I'll post new stuff up in the "Collection of Theory Icons" thread. I'm working according to the list Geoff assigned me, so the next batch will include "concepts" for Mining Engineering, Structural Integrity Fields, Bio-Terror Facilities, and the Caducean Institute. Which reminds me: the Medical Pathology Icon is using a Caduceus symbol.

Tribaal
Space Krill

#10 Post by Tribaal »

Nice work!
I'll love to see some of thoses icons in-game!

Keep up the good work :)

- Trib'

Josh
Graphics

#11 Post by Josh »

Will do.

If I wanted to "test" an icon for Free Orion and needed to see how it looks ingame, how would I go about doing that?

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you have freeorion running (perhaps from an installer), replace the icon file of an existing tech with one you want to test, and then locate that tech in the tech tree view in the UI. Chosing one of the first few techs in the to replace the icon of will probably make it easier. You can filter the tech by category, and then one of the first few techs should be easy to find on the tree (especially if it has no prerequisites, so will be at the far left side).

Alternatively, you can edit "techs.txt" in the "default" directory to add the relevant file name to the "graphic" line, but that will require a bit more effort to learn how to do. (Not much more... just copy what is done for the other techs.)

Josh
Graphics

#13 Post by Josh »

Thanks, but that second tip isn't working for me. I used an XML Editor and I keep getting an error message that will crash the game on load up if I save it (and any graphics tags I added).

But aside from that, are you pleased with the work so far?

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Josh wrote:I used an XML Editor and I keep getting an error message that will crash the game on load up if I save it (and any graphics tags I added).
You don't need an XML editor... the files aren't XML. But it's not worth spending time on if you can get the file swapping working without much trouble...
But aside from that, are you pleased with the work so far?
Yep, there's some good stuff there. (But i wouldn't suggest looking to me for validation of visual art...)