Alternative GUI font

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
peter_de123
Space Krill

Alternative GUI font

#1 Post by peter_de123 »

Hello,

I attached two screenshot of the "Zekton" font. I think this font looks much more "Sci-Fi" than the standard DejaVu font. The font is freeware, at least it says so in the readme file. Here is a link to it:

http://www.myfont.de/download.php?font=3436_zekton.zip

I manually edited line 32 of the config.xml to use Zekton bold, it seems this cannot be changed from within the game.

Also, while testing, I found out that some GUI elements don't fit with larger font sizes anymore. For example the resources overview at the top of the main screen, when I choose a bigger font, the bar starts to overlap the SitRep button. Font size is also an issue in the Tech Tree.
Attachments
Screenshot Zekton Font 02
Screenshot Zekton Font 02
Zekton_02.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Screenshot Zekton Font 01
Screenshot Zekton Font 01
Zekton_01.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 2737 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Alternative GUI font

#2 Post by pd »

There are more important things to consider than looking cool or sci-fi. First and foremost, what matters is readability and unicode coverage. In both cases DejaVu is the better solution. A stylized font like zekton can be used to accent certain headlines, but shouldn't be used as the main font. In any case, something like this is considered polishing, still far ahead on the roadmap.

Certain parts of the license seem to be incompatible as well.

charlieg
Space Floater

#3 Post by charlieg »

Yes, polishing is slated for later on the roadmap, but this is low hanging fruit. It does look better to the casual eye with a more sci fi font although there are better ones out there in terms of readability and licensing.

I suggest Orbitron:
http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/ ... 2-orbitron

Perhaps you [peter] can try that and post some screenshots with it for comparison?
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - Free Software game community

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:There are more important things to consider than looking cool or sci-fi. First and foremost, what matters is readability and unicode coverage. In both cases DejaVu is the better solution. A stylized font like zekton can be used to accent certain headlines, but shouldn't be used as the main font.
I agree. I wouldn't want to read more than a headline in that.

A game like this generally has a ton of text to read-- maximizing readability is very important for keeping the text from being a drag.