(WIP) Autofactory model

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Myckel
Space Krill

(WIP) Autofactory model

#1 Post by Myckel »

lazor in Building Icons topic wrote:Just for kicks, and because I was bored (again), I tried to model the autofactory from the little concept art Josh posted:

here is a render

and here is the .blend too if anyone is interested.

It is already UV-unwrapped, and I tried texturing it, but it seems I suck at texturing. So, this is a start at best, but I just thought I post it anyways. Mainly because I thought Josh might be interested in my 'interpretation' of his concept art.
Split off as it would be too off-topic for the Building Icons topic.

I've been doing some paint work on the model, although it isn't finished yet here is the work in progress. Some feedback would be nice. I didn't really know how to paint the antennas, so if someone has a better suggestion, I'm happy to hear it.
I'm also still thinking about how to colour the white round parts on the back of the model (and the connections between them).

And a short smoke animation from the model:

http://myckel.freeshell.org/smoking_autofactory.avi

My idea is that the model could be used for some splash screen or promotional things.

P.S. For the people who don't know me. I'm the person who works on the Dutch translation (there is an old version currently distributed, but I haven't stopped working on that), I hope to send a new version of the translation upstream soon.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: (WIP) Autofactory model

#2 Post by utilae »

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Good work. !!

lazor
Space Krill

#3 Post by lazor »

I am happy to see someone trying to texture my model. You said you thought my model could be used for a splashscreen or some promotional screens. Which would be fine with me, and I would like to try with this post to encourage or motivate you to try a little harder 'communicating' the idea you had in mind when creating that image you posted above.

There is this guy, named pd, who is apparently the graphics lead of this project, and when we want to create artwork that makes it into the final game, we have to make an impression on him that we, as amateur artists, can make artwork of professional quality. So, lets first concentrate on some basic things, things that I think are not only important from an artistic standpoint, but are also repeatedly mentioned by the guy we want to make an impression on:

- a good presentation of a 3D model is very important when you want other people to recognize the 'look' you are going for
- lightning is the key to achieve the above

This might be a bit condensed, but I think it will do for a start. In fact, I think getting lightning right is probably the most important thing when doing 3D art. Think about how a image is perceived by our eyes, via lightning rays. So, I would go so far and say that lightning is probably the only thing there is to get right, and everything else you might think of (modelling, texturing, ...), is just a subset of lightning a scene (when you model something, you may think of it as shaping something to reflect the light casted on it in a very specific way, you might think of texturing a model as specifing parameters controlling the direction in which a models surface should reflect the light, etc). Thats at least how I see it.

The point I am trying to make here is that I think that before we go and try to texture the model, especially if we don't have alot of experience as artists, we should first concentrate on getting comfortable with the basics of lightning, because it is so important. Lets try to get a good look out of the model just with changing the parameters of the renderer, placing and tweaking lights and fiddling with the basic material settings blender has to offer (reflectivity, specularity, hardness, color, ...). And I think that once we get a hang of that, everything else will eventually just fall in place and we can create really professional looking artwork (This assumption is probably naive, but I'll adjust it as I go along).

So, I tried to stick with what I said above (actually, the other way around, I first tried to make the model look good, then extrapolated the above text out of the experience) and worked on making an image that looks like what I had in mind when I modeled that autofactory, here is what came out of that:

autofactory_render2
autofactory_render3 - I tried adding a 'key light', although I don't really know what that is... you decide if it looks better or worse then the other render

autofactory2.blend - and the updated .blend as well, for reference

Now, there is still a lot that could be done better, but compare these renders to the first one I posted. It does look a lot better, doesn't it?

And, if you look at the new renders, you might notice that I did not really change that much. It is still the same model, with the same details, without texture and the same linear gradient as sky. All I did really change was the colors, the lightning and the perspective (and the renderer, but I would say that counts as changing the lightning too).

A very rewarding(as in: easy and fun) thing for you (or anyone who is interested) to do could be to take my .blend and try to do the same thing I did. Make a good looking image with just changing colors, lightning and perspective. Try to capture whatever you thought of when you made that image you posted with just changing those very basic things. I'm sure there can only come good things out of that.

You tried rendering the model from the side and a little from above. To give you some tip to get you started: try lowering the camera a bit, so the sky is visible above and behind the model. The reason I would do that is because there is only a plane as floor below the factory, from the perspective you have chosen the background of the model is just uniformly gray, and that makes the whole scene look 'flat'. Also, I notice you have chosen a very dark color for the main part of the model, that makes the already subtle and sparse details of the model go away, maybe what you wanted with that was to make it look like it was in the dark/night (absence of light) instead of the texture itself being dark? That would certainly something you could experiment with, make the same scene I rendered look like it was in the very late evening or night (for a night render I would try to experiment with spot lights lightning to factory from below, like you often see with landmarks done in the real world, or you could try to attach little lights at the top of the building, making a night render look good is probably pretty hard... because there is no 'easy' lightning setup for that), instead of early evening/dawn like it is right now. Or maybe shift the whole setting to an ice planet with a crisp clear blue sky in the morning? The possibilities are endless.

Anyways these are just some ideas and thoughts, and now I am gonna end this already very long post. I hope that I am not telling anything that is too wrong, since all I have written is just more or less my personal opinion, I have never visited an art school or something like that. Feel free to criticize or correct me.

PS: everything linked in this post released under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Welcome. Just a small note from me, that I did notice the work you are doing. It's just that renderings like these are of low importance to the project.

As far as building icons go, I'm not sure the 3D route is the way to go. The effort seems disproportionate.

0.4 being mostly about space combat, the next splash screen will probably have something to do with that as well.

Feel free to explore your ideas though. I don't want to deter you from anything. Who knows how the results can be used.

Lighting is indeed vital. A key light is the main light in your setup. There is usually only one. There may be one or more fill lights and there might be back/rim lights as well. You can read up on this by searching for "3 point lighting". Don't be afraid to read about how photographs work, it's essentially the same. If you have access to area lights, you should also look into "studio lighting" techniques.

Myckel
Space Krill

#5 Post by Myckel »

Thank you all for the replies, let me comment on them.

First, in the past I've done some things with blender, but last few years I've been working more on other projects. This model seemed like a good chance to pick blender up again and started learning new techniques. This learning is my primary motivation. Having some fun to help this project is the second motivation. That the 3D models might not be the road that the project is heading to, doesn't matter for myself that much at the moment. As the project roadmap mentions ground combat in the future I think this work might be used in the future. If not, the license permits others to use it. :wink:

Next about the model itself. After posting this rendering I noticed (when reading a bit more on the forum) that people value lighting highly. And I can't agree more. I will put a bit more effort into that for the future renderings. I was a bit enthusiastic about it and wanted some feedback about what colours to use, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to lighting (not more than to have the model somewhat visible).

The idea I had about the dark main colour is that the model represents heavy industry (think barren ground, smog covering the skies, etc.). I'm thinking to blend a bit of other dark colours into the brown main colour, to make it less plain and boring.
My plan is to continue on the model this weekend and will post a new rendering (with some better lighting and more interesting scene) sometime during the weekend.

If someone still has a suggestion for the non-painted white parts on the back, I'm happy to hear them. (maybe a light grey with some shiny appearance?)

Myckel
Space Krill

#6 Post by Myckel »

I've added a metallic material to the back part, added some ground under the model and added some lights to the scene. Spend most time on trying to get a nice picture than actually working on the model. Rendered it with the smoke emitter on (still need to add the other smoke emittors).

I also turned the rendering into a somewhat promotional mash up. :wink:

The result untill now:

Feel free to comment and provide feedback.

<edit> typo </edit>

lazor
Space Krill

#7 Post by lazor »

I see that you tried making good use of the tips I gave you in my previous post. Now I think your image is actually looking as if it were night or early morning just because of the lightning you have chosen. What I would change there is that the spotlights you have created to give the impression the factory building is lighted like a landmark emit very wide cones. I think the building would appear much larger if you made these cones a lot thinner, and made some more lights so multiple cones would be visible. Additionally I would try adding some very dim lights that illuminate the parts of the building that are not directly lit by a cone. The reason for that is that I would try to get rid of the very sharp seam between lighted areas and unlighted areas (maybe that can be achieved with changing some parameters of the spotlights too, I don't really know for sure). Alternativly you could try to make ambient value a little higher, or experiment with the values of the material.

Then, to add realism I would try to experiment with adding little lights and halos at certain places on the model. A few very good references of the 'look' which I would try to achieve can be viewed here: http://www.bouncingredball.com/2009/02/ ... -in-japan/

These are excellent pictures of large industrial complexes in japan (as the URL suggests). Notice how in these photos the structures are lighted with lots of tiny lights and are shining bright against a (mostly) very dark night background. Thats what I would try to make a night rendering of that factory look like (up to a certain extend).

With all that in mind, my biggest point of critique is probably the smoke. Thats not how smoke looks like. Or at least it is not what I would think of when I think of smoke. I would say that for now, you should concentrate on the main parts of the image. Just leave the smoke out completely and get the look of the image right first. After that you can try adding smoke and dust. The main reason for this is that I think it adds a whole new layer of complexity to the whole lightning the scene thing. If you still want to experiment with dust and smoke, then theres a picture in the reference link which has smoke too, but personally I have no idea how I would go about making smoke in blender look 'right'.

One last thing: the most important thing is to stick with what you are doing. Remember that there is still standing WIP in the threads title, so you got to keep on working on your image, making it better and better.

I have been doing some more work on the model too, I added a lot more detail to it, maybe that will motivate you too. Anyways, here it is:

http://lazor.de/freeorion/autofactory/a ... ory3.blend

The .blend is now suddenly 14MB large. Probably because I kept all the intermediate forms of my modeling process in different layers, I thought it might be interesting for someone to see. I actually do all the modeling in wings3d and then import it into blender, so if you want to add some details to the model yourself, I would recommend using wings3d as well, just export to .obj and import in wings3d.

@pd: I am OK with this probably never being part of FreeOrion, or only a very minor part. I am mainly doing it because I think it is fun and I want to get something done. One of my biggest problems is probably that I always start things and then I never really finish them. So, by doing this publicly, it motivates me to actually keep working on it, people may learn from my experience and I think it might make it also more likely that I am going to contribute something useful to FreeOrion after finishing this.