0.4 Ship Parts

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: 0.4 Ship Parts

#61 Post by pd »

Laser sideview sketch.

The previous laser might be a better ion cannon. I attempted a less bulky, more sleek design language for this one.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#62 Post by shrinkshooter »

I agree with Redcap. While those pictures look fine, their lack of any definitive recognizable aspects could make it anything. It could very well be a cloaking device or some kind of generator, really any piece of machinery. While the vibrant coloring does add plenty of interest to it, im not so sure a weapon should have 4 to five different colors, seemingly arbitrarily added. In this respect, the bluish-gray one looks the best because it's most uniform all over. Because this could be construed as any device, it'd be best if it were coupled with some iconic representation indicating it is in fact a laser, like Red suggested.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#63 Post by pd »

Have you been reading my posts?

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#64 Post by shrinkshooter »

pd wrote:Have you been reading my posts?
Yes, why? I'm saying that I agree, and from what I've seen in this thread you haven't actually stated that you're going to do this picture + icon combo. You mentioned it was a good idea, and I'm simply saying that I agree, and hope you do it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#65 Post by pd »

Yes, why?
Because, what you've said, is what I've been saying since page 1 of this thread.

If you know of some symbol or iconic representation that suggests "laser/ion cannon" then please share it with us.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#66 Post by shrinkshooter »

pd wrote:
Yes, why?
If you know of some symbol or iconic representation that suggests "laser/ion cannon" then please share it with us.
I doubt I'll be able to suddenly divulge some representation that will make everything fall into place, but I suppose, off the top of my head, we could go with the international symbol for laser caution:

All you would need to do is establish that this icon means "laser," and you can have a one of the pictures you've made coupled with this bright yellow triangle thing (or some alteration therein). People would easily recognize that it's supposed to be a laser gun. Personally, I don't think showing the actual beam in the icon is a very good idea. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem to fit right. You have an actual picture and then a small clip or respresentation of what it shoots. I mean it makes sense and everything, and there's no logical reason to say it doesn't belong, but I just don't feel that it fits. Of course, the decision is yours.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#67 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd, I still think that part looks too complicated... Maybe for a late game or weird alien / ancient race tech they would be appropriate, but for an early game basic weapon like the laser, a much simpler design with less curvey moulding around it and a simpler (eg. just blue with tints, greenish with tints) colour scheme might be better.

Having a dominant colour for each type of weapon would make distinguishing them when looking at ship designs easier. Now you've got brown and red with black and some green bits...
But this was better, imo:
(though still a bit too complicated)

We don't need an icon that obviously means "laser". We just need a distinctive weapon shape that (at least) vaguely resembles a beam weapon, and which doesn't look like any other major in-game classification of weapon. After a few minutes playing, players will become accustomed to the icons FO uses, and will then won't need any other symbols.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#68 Post by shrinkshooter »

Haha, Geoff, you pretty much stated exactly what I was trying to say. I guess you said it better than I did, though. :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#69 Post by pd »

shrinkshooter wrote:we could go with the international symbol for laser caution:
No we can't. Because what are you going to do with the ion cannon, a phaser, a distrubtor or all other kinds of beam weapons? We'd need a symbol for beam weapon, not the scientific symbol for laser. I doubt there is such a thing, though.

All the design details won't be (clearly) recognizable at the small scale anyway, but they are needed to suggest some function.

Colors are the easiest to change afterwards, but I believe this red/brown/black color sheme(with a tiny bit of complementary green) is different enough from the previous cyan/blue/grey. The shapes are distintive too.

I'll finish this new laser the same way, I've done the previous one, add another beam and then consider those things done.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#70 Post by pd »

Image compare to Image
Image compare to Image

I think the shapes and silhuettes are quite different. If this distinction is not enough, we might use a colored version.
ImageImage

And the high res versions.
ImageImage

edit:
I've just commited these:

Laser
ImageImage
Ion Cannon
ImageImage

Josh
Graphics

#71 Post by Josh »

That is excellent. This is the style I was talking about. Also I agree with what Geoff said about learning the icons. People will learn what they mean, as long they can tell them apart. As for making the guns less curvy well... That's for you to decide. Personally, I really like these, don't change them.

Two quibbles: I want to see the gun's barrel, not it's butt.
and: You don't need the laser bolt with the model. (Same for the nuclear missile symbol)

Redcap
Graphics

#72 Post by Redcap »

I think they look great with or without the beam undereneath them. But I 100% agree that they will be learned, they are professional quality and look great.

I agree with the barrel facing us; however, I don't mind the butt of the gun.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#73 Post by pd »

Yes, the player will be able to learn these things, but I believe one should still try to convey the essential meaning in the first place. It just makes things easier. Anyway, I think the beams work really well for this.
I can't promise front views for now, as I'd rather like to concentrate on the next things, but who knows maybe I'll find some time for it some day.

Thanks for the kind words guys and good to see you back Josh.

Redcap
Graphics

#74 Post by Redcap »

I can't promise front views for now, as I'd rather like to concentrate on the next things, but who knows maybe I'll find some time for it some day.
I understand how these took a minimum of 3 hours to make, and a front view would take an additional 3: so no worries. Just in any future weapons you may make, you may want to dabble with different perspectives. But I also see the use of a constant perspective. So in short, I think you know better than I and am just really impressed with everything you turn out.

Professional, simply professional.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#75 Post by pd »

Colony Pod
It's basically just some random space ship kind of thing with vertical thrusters. I thought of it as something that is gonna be dismantled and its parts are going to be used for machines that the settlers need on the new world. The thrusters might be used as a power source, assuming there is some fuel left or new fuel found.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Not sure, which one I like best. I think I'll add a tiny flag in one corner and do the same with the cryogenic icon to link them.

No 3D has been used this time, btw - it's pure painting, which saved me some time.

edit:
I didn't like this odd shape on the side, so I've changed it. Also, trying out another style for the fire, not sure if it's an improvement.
ImageImage