0.4 Ship Parts

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

Re: 0.4 Ship Parts

#76 Post by shrinkshooter »

I like the pod. I also agree with Josh, turn the guns so they're facing towards the camera at an angle.

And as for the icon thing, what I posted was an example. I didn't mean actually USE that laser icon. We should MAKE one that stands for all beam weapons, like you said. And as Geoff and Josh just stated, people will be willing to learn (a lot, oftentimes) what a single icon stands for in order to play the game. It won't take much effort to document that such-and-such an icon stands for beam weaponry in the manual we publish with the completed game. Obviously using the actual, scientific laser icon would be a stupid thing to do, at least in my book.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#77 Post by pd »

I think the fiery stuff is just overkill. The silhouette is much stronger without it. I've added some subtle glow to make it stand out even more.

The guns are done.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#78 Post by pd »

I've just committed the above icon. I'd like to thank everyone involved in creating those icons and everyone providing useful critique.

I'll resurrect this thread, once we have some more parts in the not so distant future.

edit: Feel free to applaud :)

Redcap
Graphics

#79 Post by Redcap »

Yeahhh!!! *Redcap is applauding* I especially like your how the colony pod came out, extremely sleak. Almost looks to good for the simple job of colonizing a planet :)

Josh
Graphics

#80 Post by Josh »

First let me say, good job. I'm glad they don't look like the tech icons.
Then, I would like to review the lineup.

Lasers look good. Cannon does too. so does the missile. good so far. Because you'll die of boredom if you have to read anymore flattering comments, I'll just move on.
The set up of the lead armor looks like a relic from the "tech icon" approach, and seems inferior to the more recent guns. The same idea could be conveyed better with a single, detailed plate, preferably the same way the guns are presented.
I kinda feel the same about the next four too, but I don't know what to do for them. They are tangible things, and are not like tech icons at all. They don't need to convey an abstract notion. How about radar dishes for all radar equipment?
Tanks are great. I think all the tank equipment should be modeled like this. Somebody has the original file from ssslamas, right? He may or may not stick around for v.05 if you know what I mean.
I'm torn on the colony stuff, because they are both good, but in different ways. I will reserve my judgment until more techs are added.

ssalamass
Space Floater

#81 Post by ssalamass »

Josh wrote:He may or may not stick around for v.05
still watching (and possibly contributing) to this project :) ...

edit: and applause for the icons!

Josh
Graphics

#82 Post by Josh »

Mass Driver

I copied the style based off of some concept art and stock FX I drew earlier, and even though there is no Mass Driver Cannon (yet) maybe in the future it will become useful. I don't know what the air brushy effect around the outline of the other icons is either, but I didn't add it; if I make a mistake on that, it's harder to undo than letting someone add it in later.

Farmer
Krill Swarm

#83 Post by Farmer »

Hi! I really do like your 2D-Images for the ship parts (actually im trying to imitate this with my poor blender skills :) )...but if you are really questioning the recognizability of this pictures, did you took a animation into consideration? like this:

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#84 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I added another ship part: Optical Sensors.

http://freeorion.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... 27&r2=3015

It's a cheap and basic detection part, mainly so that ships can have some detection without having hard-code it into the hull.

It'd be nice if there was a distinct icon for this part.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#85 Post by pd »

So it's basically a weaker version of the Active Radar?

Geoff the Medio

#86 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:So it's basically a weaker version of the Active Radar?
You can think of and depict it that way if you want... It could also be thought of as a more passive scan. It probably won't have the same stealth penalties as Active Radar should.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#87 Post by pd »

Very similar to Active Radar, but I've used more muted colors and a slight ripple effect, instead of a revolving beam.

It might look more polished, due to the reflection - if this indicates something more advanced to you than I could add this to Active Radar as well.

Geoff the Medio

#88 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:It might look more polished, due to the reflection - if this indicates something more advanced to you than I could add this to Active Radar as well.
It looks to me like a triangle pointing upwards / forwards, as though that's the cone of vision that the eye / sensor sees. Which is fine.

Edit: The two detection parts do look very similar, though... Eye on green circle background. Maybe it could be a more distinctive colour? The other pairs of similar-looking part icons are a bit more distinctive, while sharing the same theme. (Although the two colony pods look very different.)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#89 Post by pd »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
pd wrote:It might look more polished, due to the reflection - if this indicates something more advanced to you than I could add this to Active Radar as well.
It looks to me like a triangle pointing upwards / forwards, as though that's the cone of vision that the eye / sensor sees. Which is fine.
Yeah, fine with me too. I've pushed this idea a little.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit: The two detection parts do look very similar, though... Eye on green circle background. Maybe it could be a more distinctive colour? The other pairs of similar-looking part icons are a bit more distinctive, while sharing the same theme. (Although the two colony pods look very different.)
I've chosen the color intentionally to show the connection between the two parts. But I guess you can argue that based on the overall similarity(shape, icon) a different color might be a good idea too. I think red works well. Changed some minor other things around too.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#90 Post by Tortanick »

Given that ship parts are supposed to look something like what they actually are for optical sensors maybe a stylized biological eye would work? Maybe replace the eyeball or just the iris with something like this but keep the surrounding flesh?