Redcap's Icons Ideas

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

Re: Redcap's Icons Ideas

#16 Post by shrinkshooter »

Tortanick wrote:Well I like the new electromagnetic dampers, can't say I have a favourite out of all of them.
pd wrote:Yes, I like them too. I decide later this day, which one to choose.
I suggest 3rd one down or first one. Those have the most definitive lines due to their brightness against the dark background.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Redcap
Graphics

#17 Post by Redcap »

Some more attempts at active radar:

Image Image Image

Here are some with an eye imbedded within the light sweep.
Image Image Image

After I posted these I laughed that I unkownly made a sideways stop light :)

Here is also a drop ship icon

What it looks like in game:

Here are some freezing examples:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Last edited by Redcap on Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by pd »

Hey, it's hard to follow if you keep up this tempo, haha. Good work, please see the ship parts thread!

Redcap
Graphics

#19 Post by Redcap »

I woke up deathly sick today so wasn't able to go to work. It is amazing how icon creation gets you mind off of the problem.

The link you posted was broken, but I assume I put the icon in the wrong location of the ship. If that is the case I am sorry, I was just trying get a visual of the icon on the edit screen.

One last icon for the day but since I have been working a lot with ship icons I decided to go back to the tech icon, so here is the most recent attempt at galactic infrastructure.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by pd »

No worries, the link is fixed, it just points to the ship parts thread, that includes the icons I'm going to commit.
The location on that ship doesn't matter and the visualization attempt is fine :)

I hope you'll get better soon. Or wait, if you'll always burst out icons like this, when you are sick, you should perhaps be sick more often, hehe :) Check your PM please.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by Tortanick »

That dropship icon looks great, but when I see it I think orbital bombardment, not invasion.

Redcap
Graphics

#22 Post by Redcap »

Here are just a few more:
freeze 6.png
freeze 6.png (10.1 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
freeze3.png
freeze3.png (10.89 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
I am trying to go for cyrogeneic freezing, but boy has it been a bugger to get right. Also my imageshack account is going wierd, hence the strange method of posting images.

One last Hurrah, here is a laser or plasma, or whatever.
l1.png
l1.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
I lied here is another Not currently on the icon list yet, but thought it may be useful in the future:

Looks like a space mine or automated repair or something.

And then also my icon attempt at self Gravitating Structures. Fun with bump maps, ohh yeah!

Okay, I am sick and tired (literally) and will sign off for now. Look forward to seeing some more activity around here. Hope I helped. Cheers

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Redcap wrote:Image
I suggest making icons like the flaming ball things have a shaded / semitransparent background, so that they stand out a bit more from the ship detail behind them. Both are visually busy, and the three-part flamey balls don't have a simple strong shape / silhouette like the other icons in that image do...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#24 Post by pd »

Adding a glow and using more contrast goes a long way.

I think the silhouette is quite strong on this one.

Redcap
Graphics

#25 Post by Redcap »

Here are some recent attempts and a cyrogenic pod: Critism (or comittment ;)) is wanted.

Image Image Image Image

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#26 Post by shrinkshooter »

Cryonic pod seems to have been taken care of by pd. Check is above posted link. All that's left is the normal colony pod.

(the drop pods you have now look almost like a wepaon of some sort)

Redcap
Graphics

#27 Post by Redcap »

Ohh nice, I like his much better anyway!

Mine look like they are pieced together from scrap metal, whereas his look like futuristic space-age capsules! I am thankful for the practice I got in blender making mine however :)

Here are a few attempts at laser, or plasma cannon

Image Image Image

I personally like the red one the best!

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#28 Post by shrinkshooter »

It's good to see you getting exercise in blender, but like us all, you have some learning to do! :)
In regards to your lasers above, the "nozzle" needs to be smoothed. I understand you probably didn't do this because it screws up the shading on the front end, but you can do one of two things:

1) Select "smooth" on the nozzle, and then click on "autosmooth." the default 30 degrees should work fine, but if it doesn't tweak the number until it looks better (10 degree increments).

2) Smooth the nozzle, but then go into edit mode and select all the faces of the mesh that make up the tip of the nozzle (just the circle on the end, 'looking' towards the camera). Once the circle is selected, press Y. It will ask if you want to split the vertices and you say yes. When you render next, you should have a hard edge on the tip of the nozzle, but the sides of the nozzle itself should be smooth. Let me know if you don't understand what I'm saying.

Redcap
Graphics

#29 Post by Redcap »

I love the advice and appreciate it. I was actually going for this specific look, I didn't want a rounded gun head, wanted it to look a little rough, but I will try your idea. Thanks for the feedback, and good work on your icons as of late they rock!

Edit:

Here are some ideas I have been tossing around with the drop pod. Obviously need to rework them, but please any critism is wanted. Is it a path that should be pursued
pod4.png
pod4.png (8.05 KiB) Viewed 2294 times

Redcap
Graphics

#30 Post by Redcap »

Sorry edits don't get bumped, and I just wanted some feedback :) So ... bump