galaxy map information modes/overlays

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
kess
Space Floater

Re: galaxy map information modes/overlays

#46 Post by kess »

pd wrote:
kess wrote:different radii for different sections give much more information at a glance, than having the same radius
Could you elaborate on this? What additional information is or can be shown in those charts, compared to the normal pie charts?
I’m not sure if I understood what I was to elaborate on, so please direct me if I’m in the wrong. ;)
pd wrote:Image
In the “equal radii graph/pie chart” above the radius shows the total amount of production in general, while both the angles and the areas show the relative size between the different areas of production.

The “different radii graph/pie chart” offers more choiches on how to show the information. Two examples:
(1) The radii show the total amount of the different productions (the total production in general is indirectly shown through the sum or mean of all the different radii, depending on how the statistics are shown). The angles show the relative sizes of the different productions. The areas of the segments/pie pieces then show something I’m not really able to grasp.
(2) The areas show the amount the different productions. The angles or the radii show the relative amount of production.

Anyway, the main difference in using different radii is that more information, the amount of each production, can be shown. When using one radius for all segments only the general (total/mean) amount can be shown.

M4lV
Space Squid

#47 Post by M4lV »

I think the most intuitive pie chart approach following the KISS principle is the first one in pd's graphic. All others have an inherent question mark about how it's all meant in itself.

Besides, with increasing radius, all information about the amount of each production is shown too. There is no extra information in the other 2 examples since the angle is taking over that part.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#48 Post by pd »

M4lV wrote:with increasing radius, all information about the amount of each production is shown too. There is no extra information in the other 2 examples since the angle is taking over that part.
Exactly, that is what I think too.
Information is shown differently, but neither of these charts shows more than the other.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#49 Post by pd »

Here is an alternative way of using the rings introduced previously:

Personally I prefer the first one, that is "growing" towards the inside.

Redcap
Graphics

#50 Post by Redcap »

I like the first of the two better. The really large orange setion just looks odd to me, maybe it obscures the star to much; i don't know.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#51 Post by pd »

Worst case scenario - 9 players having a colony in a single system:

Please excuse my laziness of just using 3 different radii.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#52 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:Worst case scenario - 9 players having a colony in a single system:

Please excuse my laziness of just using 3 different radii.
Actually we support a max of 10 planets per system, but close enough to prove the point ;)
that's much more readable than a star name colored with 9 different colors.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#53 Post by pd »

I knew you'd notice :)

eleazar

#54 Post by eleazar »

Here's an example about what the stars might look like with ownership circles at min and max zoom.
circled stars.jpg
circled stars.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
• i'm not sure what i think of the tiny stars yet. This does prove that visible circles are possible with some variation in thickness at that scale. You won't be able to distinguish 10 different empire colors in a single system at that scale... but that's not going to happen anyway.

• Rather than using circle-portions of different radii, i think it looks cleaner to do a normal pie-chart and punch a hole in the middle. The thickness of the ring varies with the quantity

EDIT: spelling

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#55 Post by pd »

Looks good zoomed out. It'll be quite crowded in late game, but that is to be expected.

I'm not sure how the rings work in your case though. At the second image the radii are changing - the angles as well. What exactly is described?

eleazar

#56 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:I'm not sure how the rings work in your case though. At the second image the radii are changing - the angles as well. What exactly is described?
Let's suppose the rings are showing population.

The yellow star on the left has a higher population than the one on the right, thus the ring is thicker. Both systems have planets colonized by the Cyan and Orange empires. In the system on the left, the population of Orange makes up a smaller proportion of the total system population than in the system on the right.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#57 Post by pd »

Ok, makes sense.

eleazar

#58 Post by eleazar »

These dotted lines:
dashes.jpg
dashes.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
I think they would work better as longer dashes as in the green circle. It can be rather hard to see the dots.
I submitted a graphic for this (dashed-line.png), though i'd be just as happy to see it drawn as vector as the dot is.

This should be valid with any of the proposed ideas for supply lines.

Robbie.Price
Space Kraken

#59 Post by Robbie.Price »

pd wrote:Here is an alternative way of using the rings introduced previously:

Personally I prefer the first one, that is "growing" towards the inside.
I prefer the first one as well, but i have a question why on the right is the orange the largest and on the left it's the midsized one?

Just to check my understanding,

this does read:

orange green and purple each have equal number of planets, but orange/green has more 'population' and purple has the least.

I prefer the variable ring thickness, It seams clearer for me to read. (two bands side by side, one can just look at the thickness, or look at the whole ring and figure out how much of the ark it's taking up) + it can be used for two differnt pieces of information at once, Like the 10 players sharing a star, can still see what each player is up to, both in % ownership of planets, and pop.

Anyway just my thoughts

keep cool everybody

Price

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#60 Post by pd »

Robbie.Price wrote:Just to check my understanding, this does read: orange green and purple each have equal number of planets, but orange/green has more 'population' and purple has the least.
Yes, that's what I was trying to state.
Robbie.Price wrote:can still see what each player is up to, both in % ownership of planets, and pop.
I agree, that seems to be the benefit of this solution.
eleazar wrote:I think they would work better as longer dashes as in the green circle. It can be rather hard to see the dots.
Having dashes so similar to the fleet lines, might get confusing, even if they are colored. I like how the dots are quite different from the dashes. That said we could perhaps use something else that's not as hard to see and still different from the dashes.