potential new alien fleet

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: potential new alien fleet

#46 Post by pd »

The design is too simple. It lacks an element of surprise. You've established the basic proportions, introduced some radii and rounding and then went right to the surface details. You need to either add much more surface tension(like it's done with cars) or introduce secondary shapes(or do both). I tried to keep true to your proportions and did an overpaint to show what I mean. Obviously this is far from a finished design, but it's a first step in the right direction. I know how hard this stuff can be. 3D software is tough enough to handle and the problem many run into is, that they limit themselves by the tools the software provides. The best way to work out forms and shapes is still painting or drawing.

MrV
Space Floater

#47 Post by MrV »

- SNIP - no need to quote, when the image is right above -

Looking at this, I'm thinking the whole concept would do extremely well with a more organic look. The ship in this picture makes me think of aquatic creates, maybe a whale or fish of some sort (with the "air intakes" acting as gills, fish would be closer).

if the surface texture, and the other ships of this style, were made more in line with just that feeling you could end up with something very original as well as very cool for any race originating from an aquatic society (or water-based culture). I'd do a mockup myself, but I'm absolutely useless with everything 3D.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#48 Post by pd »

It's just a form experiment, really. For an aquatic race, the ships should probably be designed from the bottom up.