Gyisache: Artwork

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Gyisache: look, feel, flavor.

#16 Post by pd »

That's fine with me, but don't say I didn't warn you, haha.

Josh
Graphics

This thread

#17 Post by Josh »

I feel creeped out and I don't know why :shock: .

You can use this thread to post any Gyisache related pictures. Also, (probably another concept art worthy idea) all the pods don't have to be exact clones of eachother, so you could add a couple of odd balls that look slightly more or less important than the others for variety.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by Tortanick »

Josh wrote:Yeah, that's true. I never understood why multiple ships would suit them and I've been wary of literally translating their spaceships into herds. It's very difficult for me to wrap my head around how one ship is just multiple ships in game too. Seems to me it would better suit them if... actually maybe you should just see how these guys did it.
I wondered how long it would take the Spathi to show up, I was always an Orz fan myself though I must admit the Black Spathi Squadron was cool (if they exist).

Back To Topic: I have little trouble seeing them in herd spaceships, if nothing else your concepts look better than the Eluder :). But anyway a primary defence strategy for an individual in the herd is that, there's 100 of us, and 1 lioness, that means I have a 99/100 chance she's going to attack someone else. It seems reasonable to me that they'd try to keep this trick even in outerspace.

And of course there's the the psychological issue, a Gyisache would want the option to run away any time it chooses, no waiting for the captain to give the order, that means they need to have their own ships. They might never deviate from the herds decision to retreat/ not to retreat but knowing they could might be a sticking point for any Gyisache thinking of crewing a ship.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by utilae »

Tortanick wrote:Now I'm confused... you just reminded me that Gyisache are an incredibly social species who would want to be physically close, but your simile says your being straight.
There was a little bit of sarchasm.
Ok, they are social creatures. It would be good if when their ships merged, they could interact. Then when it's time to flee, a member of the ship can flee in his own ship, leaving the left over ships to still form a ship.
Tortanick wrote: I have little trouble seeing them in herd spaceships, if nothing else your concepts look better than the Eluder :). But anyway a primary defence strategy for an individual in the herd is that, there's 100 of us, and 1 lioness, that means I have a 99/100 chance she's going to attack someone else. It seems reasonable to me that they'd try to keep this trick even in outerspace.

And of course there's the the psychological issue, a Gyisache would want the option to run away any time it chooses, no waiting for the captain to give the order, that means they need to have their own ships. They might never deviate from the herds decision to retreat/ not to retreat but knowing they could might be a sticking point for any Gyisache thinking of crewing a ship.
Thanks. This is a point I often try to get across. This is a good description of the Gyisache and their ships which I support.

Josh wrote: Image
I finally did the fighters and bombers
Awesome. I like the way they have joined together, as they look more like one ship now, but still separate ships. I also like the fighters and bombers. They are pretty awesome looking.
Josh wrote: Also, I don't know how much further I should go with these concepts; They could go on forever and ever, so I'm going to declare them ready for servicing as is, though I will probably have to do some more later.
Yea, they look pretty complete. :)
Josh wrote:
Utilae wrote:Maybe docking ports connect or something like that. Some kind of transformation, eg folding parts of the ship.
... If you could give me a picture of what you want, that would be very helpful. (Geoff is good at this, he uses MS paint I think)
There's nothing I want in particular, just giving a direction to go and leave it to the artist to imagine the image. :)
Josh wrote:
Tortanick wrote:...Gyisache are an incredibly social species who would want to be physically close...
Yeah, that's true. I never understood why multiple ships would suit them and I've been wary of literally translating their spaceships into herds. It's very difficult for me to wrap my head around how one ship is just multiple ships in game too. Seems to me it would better suit them if... actually maybe you should just see how these guys did it.
Hmmm, Cool that Eluder ship is well thought out to match the race description and I like it.

With the Gyisache though, I would stick to the herd / school of fish system more though. But we do have some of those qualities, eg retreat, no B.U.T.T. missile though :)

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#20 Post by shrinkshooter »

Everything here looks stupendous. The only thing I could see "wrong" (not actually the word I'm looking for) is that the largest ship looks slow. I know that doesn't mean it is, but when everything relies heavily on looks, I think it matters a good deal. I think it should stick with your theme from the previous ships, a larger flat-styled ship. It can have a greater height, but a ball does not have a small profile no matter what angle you view it from, whereas the other ships you designed have a slight profile ("razor") if viewed along their horizontal axis, which is very good for a species trying not to be found.

Personally, I believe I'm nitpicking, but hey, you wanted input so there it is. :)

Other than that, great work!
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

nnnslogan
Space Krill

#21 Post by nnnslogan »

Just tinkering a bit tonight. I wonder if a normals map on a plain low poly sphere would work okay for this one.

I'll put some more thought into structure and make some more stuff soon.

Josh
Graphics

Update

#22 Post by Josh »

Just to keep you updated on what's going on with the Gyisache:

perspective: being lit from underneath give the ships an ominous, looming feeling, which seems to suit the Gyisache.

underneath: A more substantial view of the (very basic) modeling. The definition of the model is understated.

side: This view showcases the relative flatness and sleekness of the ship design. Though the definition of the models are clearly understated, the low polygonal count guarantees a high frame rate, even with multiple simultaneous instances of such models, without compromising the integrity of the image.

front: a side by side comparison of the small (left) and medium (right) class ships.

What I think might happen, is that slogan will model version 2, and I'll tackle version 1 (because I just like version 1 better) but we'll see.
Attachments
GyisacheShips.zip
contains the 3D models used to make the images above. (.ma file requires maya)
(40.94 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by utilae »

Looks good. Keep it up.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by Tortanick »

Just out of curiosity, why did you go back to the original concept rather than the spherical ships?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by utilae »

Lol, I kind of had that thought, but was too busy to ask lol.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by pd »

He told us already. He liked the first ones more. He might have also remembered me telling him that I don't have a preference and like both approaches.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by utilae »

Yes, it is good to run two styles in parallel.

Josh
Graphics

The first ones

#28 Post by Josh »

Yeah, I do like the first ones more for a lot of different reasons. I could still do them too.

Here are my troubles so far:

- Making it look nice.
- textures
- polycount

The ship your seeing right now is 8 points shy of 5000 tri's. 5000 tris per ship; That's way too big for gaming purposes, but it looks nice. I suspect a vast majority of the work will be done by unwrapping the geometry and assigning textures and bump maps or something like that. I personally believe an acceptable poly count for a medium ship would be about 600 tris.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#29 Post by pd »

Am I right, that those bumps are supposed to "melt" into the surface in an organic way? In your concepts the surface actually looks like skin in some places. In this case the easiest approach would be to sculpt them in mudbox, zbrush, modo or silo - not worrying about polygoncounts at all. You'll have full control about blending edges without having to worry about topology(edge flow) either. You could easily work in skin folds as well.
Once finished a low poly mesh is created based on the high poly mesh and a normal bump map can be created.

In case I'm wrong and the surface behaves more like metal(hard surface) to get the best control you'll have to carefully work out the topology. Every bump should be surrounded by edge loops. Actually you shouldn't be worried about polygon counts here either. Just make it look good. And create a low poly model once done.

I've posted this earlier, but you could've missed it.
The first column shows high poly meshes, the second one low poly meshes, and the third one shows the lowpoly meshes with normal bump maps(and color + spec).

I'd estimate polygoncounts for average sized ships at about 3000 tris.

edit: It's a tough thing to model for starters :) As mentioned previously, if you have technical problems especially regarding topology, don't hesitate to ask(pm, if you like).

Josh
Graphics

Re: Gyisache: Artwork

#30 Post by Josh »

Straight out of my sketchbook, some concepts I've been hanging on to for a while. I lost the color version :(
Adobe Photoshop wrote:could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop
Which is weapons grade baloney. Bring forth the grayscaled concept art!

I have some for the Eaxaw too, but I'll have to do something about that color first...