Wanting to Contribute

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Wahooney
Space Krill

Wanting to Contribute

#1 Post by Wahooney »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to begin contributing to the FO project, especially now when the real-time 3d aspect is coming into play.

My best skills are as follows:
  • Low poly modelling
  • UV Unwrapping
  • Rigging (mainly non-real-time or animation baking, but I am pretty flexible)
Note:
I work primarily in Blender (2.5, I'm a bleeding edge kinda guy).
I will be working in my spare time, which is limited at this point but I do work pretty fast if given decent concept sketches.

I hope I can be of some help.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Wanting to Contribute

#2 Post by pd »

Welcome.

There are a bunch of concepts you can work with:
More details on the race itself, can be found here.

We are going to use normal bump maps, so it would be good if you could look into that, in case you are unfamiliar with the topic. Also, in this context high-poly modeling will probably be inevitable.

If you are interested, you could perhaps start with one of the fighter concepts.

I've got an unfinished draft of a post on my desktop, dealing will all kinds of questions regarding this kind of work, based on previous posts by people who have shown interest(but then vanished). I'll see if I can finish and post it till tomorrow.

If you don't like the concepts, but don't mind slightly lesser detailed concepts, have a look at Josh's work.(one, two, three, four).

PcChip
Space Krill

#3 Post by PcChip »

So since you have those ships already modeled and rendered, what else needs to be done with those exact ships your posted (trith ships) ?

Maybe I'll see if I can do something with the "circular version of Gyisache ships" concept art...

*edit* - what kind of results are you looking for? what kind of save file for the 3d object? what size texture maps and how many? how many polys? etc...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

PcChip wrote:So since you have those ships already modeled and rendered, what else needs to be done with those exact ships your posted (trith ships) ?
Only those crossed out have been built. What makes you think all of them are finished?
PcChip wrote: what kind of results are you looking for? what kind of save file for the 3d object? what size texture maps and how many? how many polys? etc...
It doesn't really matter what software you are using. Most packages support exporting .obj or .fbx or something else I can export in max. Textures: normal, diffuse, spec, glow. Polycount: keep it reasonable, this is lowpoly, but it's also not 5 years ago. The bigger ship in this image(which is a small hull) is at 1600tris, the fighters are at about 350 I think. A huge hull like in the concept can probably be around 3k or 4k. It's a bit hard to estimate theses things at the moment, so just keep is reasonable for now.

PcChip
Space Krill

#5 Post by PcChip »

pd wrote:What makes you think all of them are finished?
I thought those were renderings, I assume they are just photoshop drawings?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

Yes, painted in photoshop.