Special Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Special Icons

#1 Post by Bigjoe5 »

This is mostly directed towards eleazar, but could also apply to any other artists who are good at making icons.

The new specials reminded me that the stealth specials I added previously are still under the curse of my lame programmer art. If there's a general consensus that those specials are going to stay, the icons should probably be replaced with ones that actually look good/aren't obviously modified versions of existing icons.

Also, Resonant Moon is a little rough-around-the-edges too.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Special Icons

#2 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:This is mostly directed towards eleazar, but could also apply to any other artists who are good at making icons.

The new specials reminded me that the stealth specials I added previously are still under the curse of my lame programmer art. If there's a general consensus that those specials are going to stay, the icons should probably be replaced with ones that actually look good/aren't obviously modified versions of existing icons.
My new icons have been quick/rough too. Actually most of my text content is too.
I'll be much more inclined to make nice icons when the roster of specials is more settled, since a lot of them are up in the air right now. Even for the ones that aren't up in the air, it is easier to make everything visually distinct when you know it might be confused with.

But i certainly wouldn't stop anybody else from doing something.

Bigjoe5 wrote:Also, Resonant Moon is a little rough-around-the-edges too.
That's been on the long list of things to address-- i.e. the concept of resonant moons is backwards. Going by our solar system, the vast majority of non-tiny moons are resonant i.e. tidally locked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking#Moons

I know, "Realism". But there is a difference between making stuff up or simplifying, and just sounding misinformed. Admittedly the difference is subjective.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Special Icons

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:That's been on the long list of things to address-- i.e. the concept of resonant moons is backwards. Going by our solar system, the vast majority of non-tiny moons are resonant i.e. tidally locked.
Resonant moon is a rather old and not very interesting special with no obvious interesting gameplay purpose. It might as well just be removed, rather than worrying about rephrasing it so the particular physical phenomenon is represented more ... Concisely? Statistically consistently? Whateverly...