Building Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
coCoKNIght
Space Squid

Re: Building Icons

#121 Post by coCoKNIght »

Ok, here goes the attachment.
Attachments

[The extension diff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#122 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Committed...

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#123 Post by coCoKNIght »

Gas Giant Generator:
I made this icon similar to the solar generator and the black hole generator.

screenshot:

64x64 transparent:

Source Blender file: http://cocoknight.com/freeorion/gas-gia ... ator.blend

The graphics in this post are released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/).

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#124 Post by MatGB »

I like that, I like that a lot.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio

#125 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#126 Post by MatGB »

With 7cca7d7 I've reassigned a chunk of old, unused building icons to buildings that didn't have anythign specific and were using the generic icon. Most fit relatively well, although I'm not keen on Gateway to the Void.

I was unable to pick something for the Space Elevator, and that's something I personally use fairly often, if anyone fancies trying their hand at some art for it that would be quite nice.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#127 Post by Kassiopeija »

perhaps for terraforming_reversion
Attachments
terraform_back.png
terraform_back.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 11740 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#128 Post by Dilvish »

It looks fine to me like that, but we could use some other opinions and could you also show a screenshot (or an actual-size version) -- I've noticed that many icons look quite different when they're small (I'm afraid the recent "Honeycomb" looks more like a wedge of cheese to me at the actual ingame size).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#129 Post by Kassiopeija »

here's a screenie from my current game, native res 1920*1080

PS: max file size is 1MB so I cannot upload a lossless pic (it's slightly lossy)
Attachments
Screenie.jpg
Screenie.jpg (583.11 KiB) Viewed 11729 times

Dilvish

#130 Post by Dilvish »

Seeing them on your build queue there was very helpful. It seems like you've flipped the original icon left-to-right, except leaving the arrow still pointing from left-to-right, and changed the arrow's color, which is all well and fine. Seeing them on the queue, though, made me think about what if the original icon were instead rotated 180 degrees, but still keeping the arrow on top and reversing the direction of the arrow, so it pointed from right to left (and changing the color as you suggest is also fine). That seems to me to better convey the 'undo' aspect, particularly when seen near the regular icon.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#131 Post by Kassiopeija »

like this one?
Attachments
terraform_everse.png
terraform_everse.png (12.53 KiB) Viewed 11721 times

Dilvish

#132 Post by Dilvish »

Kassiopeija wrote:like this one?
Almost-- it looks like you just changed the direction of your arrow. If you also rotated the planet counterclockwise by about 45 degrees or so (so that the dividing line was in alignment with that of the forward terraforming icon, just with the two halves swapped compared to it) then that would be what I had in mind.

Geoff the Medio

#133 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kassiopeija wrote:here's a screenie from my current game, native res 1920*1080

PS: max file size is 1MB so I cannot upload a lossless pic (it's slightly lossy)
You can / should crop to just show the relevant part of the screenshot. This is helpful to avoid making the layout too big to fit in a browser window without scrollbars as well.

Regarding the screenshot, I'm confused why in the tooltip you're getting stringtable lookup errors for BLD_TERRAFORM ... it's in the stringtable as far as I can see...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#134 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Regarding the screenshot, I'm confused why in the tooltip you're getting stringtable lookup errors for BLD_TERRAFORM ... it's in the stringtable as far as I can see...
I'm guessing the "Tiny World" and "Small World" terraforming in the production queue may be a hint there, I've been tempted to rescript some of the buildings to have part of their cost reflect planet size at some point, looks like not just me had the idea.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish

#135 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Regarding the screenshot, I'm confused why in the tooltip you're getting stringtable lookup errors for BLD_TERRAFORM ... it's in the stringtable as far as I can see...
The error is for DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE, which is not in the stringtable. I'm pretty sure there are a few others still not in as well.