Building Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Building Icons

#136 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:The error is for DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE...
There are multiple instances of ERROR in the tooltip. The DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE I didn't comment on because it is (was) missing from the stringtable. BLD_TERRAFORM is present, however, so I don't understand it also having an ERROR.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#137 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There are multiple instances of ERROR in the tooltip. The DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE I didn't comment on because it is (was) missing from the stringtable. BLD_TERRAFORM is present, however, so I don't understand it also having an ERROR.
My apologies-- I had looked it over a couple times; not sure how I overlooked that-- I guess that means I should be very refrained in any comments at least until I've had some more rest.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#138 Post by Kassiopeija »

Uhm, the screenie is taken out of a personal moded version, sorry I should have reverted to the original but it was just ment to exemplify the icons ingame.
I've replaced the single terraforming building with 5 different ones, which are further tight to the size of each planet. The original 200 prod @ 8 turns terraforming correspondeds with Large World Terraforming, while each step going down/up in size will see an increase/decrease of -+25 in production and -+1 in turns to complete.
The error with BLD_TERRAFORM got corrected I forgot to delete the original terraform code.

I have no idea what causes the DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE error, though....

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#139 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kassiopeija wrote:I have no idea what causes the DESC_VAR_ORIGINALTYPE error, though....
See the previous two posts in this thread.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#140 Post by Kassiopeija »

Dilvish wrote:
Kassiopeija wrote:like this one?
Almost-- it looks like you just changed the direction of your arrow. If you also rotated the planet counterclockwise by about 45 degrees or so (so that the dividing line was in alignment with that of the forward terraforming icon, just with the two halves swapped compared to it) then that would be what I had in mind.
okidoki, planet is rotated 45° counterclock:
Attachments
terraform_back3.png
terraform_back3.png (17 KiB) Viewed 21207 times

wheals
Space Squid

#141 Post by wheals »

For symmetry, shouldn't the arrow be pointing from the blue side to the brown side, a bit like what I have here? (A hasty edit of the current terraform picture, excuse the arrow's colour and general messiness...)
Attachments
reflection.png
reflection.png (27.02 KiB) Viewed 21200 times
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Dilvish

#142 Post by Dilvish »

wheals wrote:For symmetry, shouldn't the arrow be pointing from the blue side to the brown side, a bit like what I have here?
Doh! Yes, of course it needs to do that, I managed to overlook that in my mental visualization. Kassiopeija's original proposal had that aspect of it fine also.

I do still prefer having the planet halves keeping the same alignment as in the original icon, only swapped, so if Kassiopeija took their last proposal and just swapped the direction of the arrow then I think that's the one I prefer (or taking their starting icon and rotating the planet counterclockwise would be another way to get to the same result).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#143 Post by Kassiopeija »

looks more and more fine imo
Attachments
terraform_back6.png
terraform_back6.png (20.49 KiB) Viewed 21190 times
terraform_back5.png
terraform_back5.png (20.65 KiB) Viewed 21190 times

Dilvish

#144 Post by Dilvish »

Kassiopeija wrote:looks more and more fine imo
Yes, I think I prefer #5, but I'd be fine with either #5 or #6.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#145 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:
I'm going with #6:

* The doing and undoing the terraforming icon are distinct. Even for people who are color blind.
* Opposing arrow directions for converse operations are more clear.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#146 Post by Bigjoe5 »

adrian_broher wrote:
Dilvish wrote:
I'm going with #6:

* The doing and undoing the terraforming icon are distinct. Even for people who are color blind.
In that case, why not just reverse the direction of the arrow, while leaving the planet the same? The resulting icon will have both those properties. I find the different slant of the two icons to be a bit visually jarring, TBH.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

wheals
Space Squid

#147 Post by wheals »

Any reason the .blend file for the Gas Giant Generator never got uploaded to the freeorion-assets repository?
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#148 Post by adrian_broher »

wheals wrote:Any reason the .blend file for the Gas Giant Generator never got uploaded to the freeorion-assets repository?
The file is broken. A texture is missing.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Sloth
Content Scripter

#149 Post by Sloth »

adrian_broher wrote:
Dilvish wrote:
I'm going with #6:

I've created a PR that adds and links icon #6 for Terroform Reversion.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#150 Post by coCoKNIght »

The file is broken. A texture is missing.
Can't reproduce that. There's only one texture file and it's packed in the .blend.