Request: comet for mapwindow

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

#16 Post by The Silent One »

Apart from the (usual) realism dispute, I think that the Hale Bob pic looks way cool... would be great if we could have a similar picture in the game.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#17 Post by Aquitaine »

StatusDog wrote:Well a couple people in this small little thread have now said the comet doesnt look natural or right. If your going to make something, atleast try and make it look concievable. It helps draw the player into the game when things look right.

StatusDog
Sorry, dude, a couple people in this thread both said exactly the same thing, which is something people say every couple months around here, and it holds no water. We can't use images that aren't in the public domain.

It's up to the graphics team as to what they use or not, but whether or not real comets have one or two tails couldn't matter less to me.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by pd »

it's one of my tasks to create a comet(animated) i will play around with the tail and maybe add 2 tails. thanks for the referecnces. the hale-bopp pic looks awesome btw.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#19 Post by Daveybaby »

99.999999% of people on this planet, if asked to draw a picture of a comet, would only put one tail on it. About 99.99% of *those*, when shown a picture of a comet with 2 tails would say "WTF?!?1? is wrong with youre comet!>!>! LOLORZ1!!!!eleven".

Probably 99% of astronomers would only draw one tail on ffs. Generally the 2nd tail is almost invisible or is coincident with the first tail anyway.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

noelte
Juggernaut

#20 Post by noelte »

Daveybaby wrote:99.999999% of people on this planet, if asked to draw a picture of a comet, would only put one tail on it. About 99.99% of *those*, when shown a picture of a comet with 2 tails would say "WTF?!?1? is wrong with youre comet!>!>! LOLORZ1!!!!eleven".Probably 99% of astronomers would only draw one tail on ffs.
If people learn something for the real life from fo, it wouldn't bother me. ;-)

Daveybaby wrote:Generally the 2nd tail is almost invisible or is coincident with the first tail anyway.
That's only true on the final run.

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

#21 Post by StatusDog »

Well the average person playing this game wont be the average person on this planet. They will generally be above average intelligent geeky boys. I learned comets had 2 tails in probably middle school, and I imagine a lot of other people did too.

And just because the average person might not know something is no reason to make it wrong.

The 2nd tail is almost always visible. The only time the 2 would line up is on the comets approach to the star while still being far away from the star. From there as the comet aproachs the star, loops around it, and heads away the 2 tails will be different. And in fact the only time any tail is visible is when the comet is very close to the star, so the 2 tails will always be different and generally appear like the Hale-Bopp pic. So basically all comets have 2 tails.

StatusDog

drek
Designer Emeritus

#22 Post by drek »

StatusDog wrote:Well the average person playing this game wont be the average person on this planet. They will generally be above average intelligent geeky boys. I learned comets had 2 tails in probably middle school, and I imagine a lot of other people did too.
You don't get it.

Making realism arguements is frowned upon on these forums. This is space opera, like Star Wars.....there's already a thousand things in the game that are terribly unrealistic.

If you think a comet with two tails looks cooler, I tend to agree. But please stop referring to what's realistic, or making guesses as to what the average geek ought to know about reality: it's not helpful.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by Tyreth »

This is enough discussion on two tails. Yes, you can say "that's cool, might look better with two tails though like real comets". You cannot say, "that's cool, but it's not realistic since real comets have two tails". This thread is deteriorating, and any further posts on realism will be deleted. I would lock this thread, but it needs to be open for further comet image submissions, until Miu says otherwise.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Well...

#24 Post by guiguibaah »

Well this discussion hasn't been in vain... I, for one, have learned something today - (and that's after 2 university degrees) - that comets have 2 tails :)

Any pictures of meteors?
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Rockstone
Space Squid

Re: Well...

#25 Post by Rockstone »

guiguibaah wrote:Well this discussion hasn't been in vain... I, for one, have learned something today - (and that's after 2 university degrees) - that comets have 2 tails :)

Any pictures of meteors?
lol
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?