We need a leader.

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
That Guy
Dyson Forest

We need a leader.

#1 Post by That Guy »

I don;'t know about anyone else that does graphics here, but I don't like sitting on my hands here. I need someone to give me a job.

Also, it might be different for others, but this is time consuming, and if we are going to have any animations in and/or out of game, they should hand us our assignments soon.

It just doesn't seem right, there is like no multimedia developing for this game yet. We might have afew ships(4 my own), and abit of music, but no scenes, no alien looks, and what looks like a good UI.

PS I am SO getting bored.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

what to do

#2 Post by miu »

Ah, as the organisation of this project is still forming and there isn't much more graphics needed for 0.1, you have to take initiative :) Take a look on requests or other topics. I know it's frustrating as there isnt anyone to give clear tasks or specs what is required, but these usually get sorted. Anyway, there's wide range of work to choose from:

Few suggestions for what we'll need sooner than later:
-More stars. With or without animation. Those that we have are good, but they get repeatitive.
-More planets. Once again, we have good ones, but few more wouldnt hurt, specially if you can make them spin and have nice cloud layer.
-Comet would be nice as well.

Shipdesign: make your own complete serie finished, with cutter- frigatte - cruiser - battleship - dreadnought - leviathan sized ships.

Race: take a look on races suggested, pick one that you like and think it's probaply going to be ingame and do graphs for it. Even if the race as it is wouldnt be ingame, your graphs would get used anyway. And background pictures/settings for those races, probaply insectoids diplomatic room will have hive-like background, and humanois have bit startrekish one, use your imagination. What is needed: basic diplomacy windown picture of member of this race with good backround, something like 1280*1024 would be good resolution as it can be then scaled down easily if needed. Then graphs of scientist, member of military and a spy. And small icons of farmer - worker - scientsist - military, size 64x64.

Technology: for example, do rotating 3dmodel/animation of laser cannon/advanced laser cannon/research center/advanced mine/whatever, even though those arent decided yet, graphs can be used anyway.

Planetary background images: no idea if these will be in or not (I really want them to be), so do a picture from surface of radiated/barren/ocean/terran planet. These are fun to do.

Animations and cutscenes will be decided once we know more about backgroundstory. Anyway these are all graphs that will be needed later on. Once se start working on 0.2, there will be more urgent requests that so that you can see fruit of your efforts in-game with quite short waiting. My recommendation would be that you finish your shipline as you have skills with them and you're doing well so far :) and those technology graphs will be fun to do. Race pictures I would leave till later as they can be very timetaking to do, but if you like challenge, go ahead. Anyway, it's better that we have graphics ready before the programming team needs them.

There's so much to choose from, I cant myself really decide what to start working on once those requests get sorted, probaply some planetary background pictures or I'll get that shipline of mine started :)

.Miu
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by That Guy »

Ok, all I need is to complete the dread and make a cutter and lev. I also have one cruiser variant, if you want.

I think I will make generic looking tech models, like laser rifles, lasers, phasers, buildings, etc.

If we are going to need graphics in .2, then we will ned the leader before then IMO. I have learned how to make lens flare to make stars, but they aren't really 3D, is that necessary?

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by miu »

Sounds cool!

"...I have learned how to make lens flare to make stars, but they aren't really 3D, is that necessary?"
Doesn't matter as long as they look good :) Stars should be submitted in 128X128.

.Miu
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by That Guy »

Miu, where can I see ur ship line? Do we need afew types of ships for each size or what?

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by miu »

That Guy wrote:Miu, where can I see ur ship line? Do we need afew types of ships for each size or what?
Havent started modelling them yet, but I think I'll do them based on the sketching I did before. ( http://miutemp.1colony.com/photo.html )

Many shipmodels per size class.. don't know, adds much work but would be cool. For now I would stay with one ship per class, and later we'll see if can have more. (= if we'll have lots of dedicated artists, no propblem, but if our graph team remains small, those extra models are on low priority.) But of course extra ones don't hurt as it's still to be decided how many sizes we'll have. MOO3 had 7 diff shipmodels and 3 different starbasemodels in each theme.

.Miu

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by That Guy »

Well, QS cheaped out on combat graphics. I could do 2 per size. We have time, and I have most likely more then the rest here.

Now, the problem will be making a second race's ships, if I have to. They might end up looking similar to my first.

Anyways, I just thought with a leader, we could get a jump on afew things, but it might be early for that I guess.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#8 Post by iamrobk »

I haven't modeled much recently (due to many factors), but in general, some races should have "boxy" ships, others smooth, curved ships, maybe others have lots of points and whatever. Just some ideas.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Some thoughts... first of all, for the most part I really liked MOO3's ship models. Granted, I was disappointed they didn't have a separate model for each size class, but as was said QS cheaped out big-time.

I think there are definitely some lessons to be learned from the main shows with detailed ship designs... Star Trek, Star Wars, B5, Andromeda, and SG-1 are the ones I'm personally familiar with. Star Trek is probably the best at it imo, every race's ships have an extremely distinct look and feel -- Starfleet are universally light gray/white metal hull, blue engine nacelles separated from the main body, and usually incorporating a saucer in some form; Romulan are sleek, swept lines, almost no hard edges, hollow space in the middle, dark green color hull; Cardassian are extremely boxy, with a large freighter-esque main hull and a small "head" on the front, dull orange hull; and of course Borg are dark gray giant cubes with semi-open metal latticework on the outside, just to give you some ideas. Oh yeah, and one of my favorites, the SG-1 Goa'uld motherships, are more or less saucer-shaped with a giant pyramid on top, same color as the real ones and everything. Basic point I guess I'm trying to make, is that the coolest ones are usually themed somehow. Try different combinations of boxy and sleek, various hull colors, and various basic geometric shapes. And while you're at it, please consider one race with all spheres or cubes or both for their ships... I know it'll probably seem like a Borg rip-off but damnit it's just too cool. :)