SitRep UI

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: SitRep UI

#16 Post by MikkoM »

mZhura wrote:Image
Could the tabs also work like already clicked links on most websites (change colour or colour shades), so that the player would know which tabs he/she has already clicked? Also, is it possible to make the Sitrep UI so that if there are no new messages under one of the tabs, the tab itself isn`t visible in the UI during that particular turn? In other words only those tabs that have messages under them would be shown to the player during a particular turn.

For long Sitreps I previously suggested a very similar kind of UI as the one used in the 0.4 design pad.

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/0.4_Design_Pad

There is the Contents part in the design pad that immediately tells you what topics are present in that particular pad, and each of these descriptions is also a link that leads to the part of the pad where the issue in question is presented in more detail. There should then of course be a "back to the Contents" link in the beginning and in the end of each of these parts to allow the player to move easily from one interesting part of the Sitrep to another. And what I already said about colour coding used links also applies here.

However, maybe using the tabs can be a more effective way of achieving an easy to use Sitrep, if there are a sensible number of these tabs in the Sitrep UI, and some way of separating already clicked tabs from those that haven`t been clicked yet.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by pd »

Those tabs are unlikely to happen(does anyone read my comments?). Instead filter switches, which are already used in different parts of the game, should be used.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#18 Post by MikkoM »

pd wrote:Those tabs are unlikely to happen(does anyone read my comments?). Instead filter switches, which are already used in different parts of the game, should be used.
Yes I read your comments, but until there is a mockup where I can see how these filter switches are going to work and offer a more effective and easy to understand Sitrep UI than tabs or links, I really can`t say much about them.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MikkoM wrote:...until there is a mockup where I can see how these filter switches are going to work...
Have a look at the tech tree filters on the research screen. I think those are what pd is suggesting to emulate.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#20 Post by MikkoM »

Is there a big difference then between the tabs and filter switches? Now at least to me they both seem to filter information. And could my previous suggestions about tabs also work with the filter switches?
MikkoM wrote: Could the tabs also work like already clicked links on most websites (change colour or colour shades), so that the player would know which tabs he/she has already clicked? Also, is it possible to make the Sitrep UI so that if there are no new messages under one of the tabs, the tab itself isn`t visible in the UI during that particular turn? In other words only those tabs that have messages under them would be shown to the player during a particular turn.
Again, eventual mockups will hopefully make this whole issue easier to grasp and easier to comment.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by pd »

Is there a big difference then between the tabs and filter switches? Now at least to me they both seem to filter information.
A tab excludes all information except the one that is relevant to the selected tab. You can't display multiple tabs at the same time. A filter switch toggles relevant information on or off.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by eleazar »

I agree with pd, some sort of filtering makes more sense for the sitrep than tabs.