Civilopedia / technology browser

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
PL_Andrev
Space Floater

Civilopedia / technology browser

#1 Post by PL_Andrev »

In last FO version is implemented a huge technology tree. For me it is too complicated (many space 4X games have simpler) but it is OK, maybe this is good way. The problem is that in game is not implemented something like "civilopedia" or simple technology browser. I see that in each technology you're ready to put description for the "unlocks building" in next revision, but I mean simpler solution. Of course, we have take a look to technology tree but the problem is at other way:

The beginner start to play and think "what I should do now?" or "which technology will be more usefull now?"
Unfortunately the "tech tree" do not answer ot these questions. Of course, the player can check tech by tech and read descriptions about improvements, but... how many are starting technologies?

The beginner should know about:
1) What is difference between plated armour and other armour type? (power & cost)
2) Why should he reserach a "planetary ring" technology? (abilities)
3) How to improve production/mining/research on planet? (abilities)
4) How to build a miniature sun? (technology way)

Solutions:
I propose the "tech browser" or "civilipedia" menu, where will all descriptions about elements in game:
Buildings (growth, mining, production, research, defence, other)
Ship constructions (hulls, armours, shields, beams, missiles, others)
All improvement will be segregate from low to hi-tech technologies.

And now, the player click "tech browser/building/research" and will have all buildings which help research on planet.

This is simple example about tech browser (Stars! game).
Uploaded by imageshack.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Civilopedia / technology browser

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Part of what you're suggesting has already been implemented. There is an encyclopedia panel with an index of clickable links to specific bits of content in the SVN version. Some more is being worked on (categories of content, navigation functionality). See: viewtopic.php?p=44226#p44226

Another part appears to be writing more detailed and useful descriptions of content. If you'd like to write those descriptions, feel free to submit changes to the eng_stringtable.txt that provides the relevant information... Otherwise, it's not likely to be a priority until the game is much closer to release.

It's not clear how what you're suggesting will accomplish this: "And now, the player click "tech browser/building/research" and will have all buildings which help research on planet.", or how it's significantly different from the existing descriptions of techs / buildings / ship designs / etc. that are shown on the research, produciton or design screens when clicking on some content.

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#3 Post by PL_Andrev »

Geoff the Medio wrote:It's not clear how what you're suggesting will accomplish this: "And now, the player click "tech browser/building/research" and will have all buildings which help research on planet.", or how it's significantly different from the existing descriptions of techs / buildings / ship designs / etc. that are shown on the research, produciton or design screens when clicking on some content.
Now I see the buildings description... and you can see the problem of beginner - the problem is that these descriptions are not in one place. For example: I see the "automated factory centre" but at current game version is not information about tech needed to build it (I must find it at tech tree).

BTW: Good solution is put in description the technology button, and after pick this technology button the player is transferred to research menu with this tech at center (to finalize research if player wants).

I prepared a small screen what I mean... looks good...

Small example what can we upgrade food production with starbase modules.
At final screen is technology needed, production cost, bonus, and mass.
Mass is part of my conception of design creation (will be shown on next post).
Difference between technologies and buildings: finished technology give direct bonus to production without special building creation.

Uploaded by Imageshack

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I think we'll definitely want some way to browse through technologies and buildings based on what their bonuses are, but for now it's probably not a priority.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

Bigjoe5 wrote:I think we'll definitely want some way to browse through technologies and buildings based on what their bonuses are.
I completely agree. It's probably best to integrated it into the tech screen as another view mode. As you said, low priority though.

Thanks for the mockup Andrev.