Species Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Species Icons

#16 Post by eleazar »

Redcap wrote:Do I see a P'kunk in there? :)
Sorta, yeah.

For a significant fraction of these, I'm taking inspiration, or paying homage to general and specific aliens of literature and video games. Though to make things work in the tiny space, i'm not following any idea too slavishly. I never liked the spidery Pkunk fingers, and they wouldn't have worked at this res so i omitted them. So far Star Control is making the best showing.

eleazar

#17 Post by eleazar »

Various additions.
Attachments
species.png
species.png (129.04 KiB) Viewed 4844 times

eleazar

#18 Post by eleazar »

Since the last post i've realized the style was pretty inconsistent, and the newer icons were generally of higher quality. I've been going back to smooth that out, though not all icons have gotten a second touch yet.

There's a few exceptions, but i think i have an icon that works for almost every thing on this page.

(picture removed)

eleazar

#19 Post by eleazar »

Three more, including the ever popular spiky upright insectoid.
Attachments
FO-species.png
FO-species.png (164.96 KiB) Viewed 4709 times

MGyver
Space Floater

#20 Post by MGyver »

Looks great! I love even the thought of having so many minor species involved in the game! Icons look great, and are still recognizable at the small size. Are you planning on having significant gameplay/tech differences between species?

eleazar

#21 Post by eleazar »

MGyver wrote:Looks great! I love even the thought of having so many minor species involved in the game! Icons look great, and are still recognizable at the small size. Are you planning on having significant gameplay/tech differences between species?
At minimum most of these will simply be options for custom player species.

I'd like to have support for randomly generated minor species -- but who knows, that's a long way down the road.

eleazar

#22 Post by eleazar »

Feel free to bring to my attention any species on our story subforum that doesn't fit any of the icons i've made. That means links. I'm not promising that i'll make any particular icon -- just stating my general desire to have a more or less complete collection, without pouring through all the descriptions again.

Exception: I know i haven't done any humanoids yet-- i have a batch of those in the works.
Attachments
FO-species.png
FO-species.png (179.6 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

EmP
Space Floater

#23 Post by EmP »

A pacman?

eleazar

#24 Post by eleazar »

EmP wrote:A pacman?
No, a robot civilization that prefers simple geometric avatars: in this case a sphere with a triangular slice taken out. The robots if asked will deny all knowledge of early earth video games.
FO-species-3-5-11.png
FO-species-3-5-11.png (83.42 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
total: 114

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

#25 Post by Uziush Vielky »

@eleazar: Do you accept new icons? If yes then what file format should the be? Any detailson the size and colours that have to be used?

eleazar

#26 Post by eleazar »

Uziush Vielky wrote:@eleazar: Do you accept new icons? If yes then what file format should the be? Any detailson the size and colours that have to be used?
Sure, i'll accept original icons of similar quality.

Specs:
  • * 64x64 px transparent PNG
    * Must have a strong silhouette so it can still be easily recognized when shrunk to 16x16
    * Colors: white and light to medium greys. Because it will generally be displayed on dark grey or black, and will probably be sometimes colorized with an Empire's color.
    * Homage is OK, straight duplication of somebody else's IP is not. (probably not an issue)
See data/art/icons/species for examples

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

#27 Post by Uziush Vielky »

OK. I had little trouble with my old FTP (deleted account), so I've written a simple page showing my species icons on a new server. So far I made one icon just for testing purposes. Let me know if this is OK and I'll proceed with making more spohisticated ones. This icon was supposed to represent a single cell organism, but it can be passed of as a "ghost with a funny hole inside" :lol:

http://uziush.republika.pl/index.htm

eleazar

#28 Post by eleazar »

Notice how you have a black halo around the edge? That shouldn't be there, and will show up when the background is not exactly that color. You should paint the creature on a transparent layer, not try to cut out the black background afterwards-- quicker, better results.

Transparency shouldn't be binary-- the outside edge should be crisp, (unless is some fuzzy glowing thing), but also aliased.

The soft-edged shading is good.

If you are going for single-celled organism, the "holes" should probably be opaque grey spots instead.

Take advantage of the whole 64x64

P.S. you can also attach images to your post if you wish.

eleazar

#29 Post by eleazar »

Added slightly updated clarified specifications to the first post.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by utilae »

Omg there's so many ! Good thread !

I like the idea of assigning these to minor races, maybe space monsters.

Good to see my creation the Gyisache in this game :)
Hmm, not sure about them not having hands. Maybe they have some form of psyonic powers limited only for basic manipulation of objects.