some spaceship graphic junk, useful?

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
SpaceHamster
Space Krill

some spaceship graphic junk, useful?

#1 Post by SpaceHamster »

For a while i had a go at making a space-based mod for civilization III. I might come back to it someday, but for now ive decided its not a very good game system for space empires :(

So, ive got a lot of spaceship graphics that i made while i was attempting this (and learning 3ds Max). I dont expect them to be up to the standard of this project, but maybe they could be useful for testing purposes, or maybe they can give other people some ideas?

This is most of the models ive done. The blue/grey was supposed to be some generic human ships. The green ones were an alien race, and the colourless ones were barbarian/space pirates.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

Nice work, we could almost certainly use them somewhere.

As far as combat goes, we haven't decided, but it looks like we'll be using 3D models rendered with OpenGL, rather than 2D images. That means that models will be more valuable than renders. But that depend entirely on the direction we take.

Have you looked at the license we are using for all artwork? You have to be happy to release your art under this agreement before we can accept anything:
http://www.artclusta.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=351

Thanks

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by That Guy »

Ya, very nice. How did you get the textures to look so good? And relatively real.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

luckless666
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by luckless666 »

So, ive got a lot of spaceship graphics that i made while i was attempting this (and learning 3ds Max). I dont expect them to be up to the standard of this project, but maybe they could be useful for testing purposes, or maybe they can give other people some ideas?
Wow, they look great! I'm with That Guy. How did you get the textures to look so good?? I think its about time I got round to learning Blender. That idea about Modding CivIII sounded good. What were the problems you ran into?
Chris Walker
| c.walker (at) mgt.hull.ac.uk |

WorldForge.org

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Obiwan »

SpaceHamster rules, I want to play using those models :shock: :D :D

SpaceHamster
Space Krill

#6 Post by SpaceHamster »

Thanks for the replies :)

I had a brief look at the license, seems like people are free to use it or modify it as long as they give credit, which i would be ok with :)

There were some nice standard textures that i used from 3dsMax, space panels is the main one i used on the grey and blue bits. There were some other nice metal textures. The green based a galvanised metal texture too.

About my civ3 mod.... the main problem was how to model space, i went for a 'space as land' approach where there are no seas or boats, the galaxy is all 'land' and every 'spaceship' is a land unit. But then there is no way to make 'ground troops' and the game misses that side of things. If you make space as water, you can have ships and troops, but you have to make each star system a little bit of land in a huge ocean, and the a.i has a very hard time dealing with that kind of map (plus the ocean combat was never very good).

Another problem was how to model space systems, i went for 1 square you could build on, and around it there were 'resources' in space to represent planets. It wasnt a bad system, but a bit wierd when systems are spread out over a 9 square radius of the map, and you can blockade planets and stuff.

Some other problems were the fact that you cant limit how far you can go, you can just keep moving to the edges of the galaxy with your first ships, which was a bit wierd. And the a.i never built mix fleets of many fast, cheap ships to raid and bombard and slow powerful ones. It just always builds the most expensive unit pretty much, using only the most powerful attacks and defenders available despite the cost.

I had a go at making 'star lanes' between stars as the only squares non colony ships can travel on at the start, this limited movement between places you or the enemy have built colonies. But to get that to work properly i need to take the planets out, so theres just the star there that you need to go through in order to go onto another 'star lane'. Otherwise you can hop across planets and onto a new star lanes if they arent placed right, it gets a bit messy.

So anyway, it was a bit fiddly :) but maybe ill come back to it someday

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Satyagraha »

hm, why didn´t you do an Alpha Centauri-Mod? :?
that would have been alot easier, i guess ;)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

@SpaceHamster
Those are awesome. I think you underestimate how good you are. :wink:

Manilla Moxy
Space Floater

ships

#9 Post by Manilla Moxy »

Are other people making shps? I can draw rteally excellt 3d models - is there a demand yet?
It's cool man!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Re: ships

#10 Post by Tyreth »

Manilla Moxy wrote:Are other people making shps? I can draw rteally excellt 3d models - is there a demand yet?
You're welcome to make ship designs, but we have no need yet or any specific requirements. When work on 0.3 commences we will eventually have an official request for ship models - until then ship designs are permitted, but not expected. We don't know what the exact requirements will be.