stars v0.2

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Impaler
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by Impaler »

I like the idea of having star pictures display some information about a system (other then just the general Hot/Coldness of the planets in the system). The number of planets perhaps of the "richness" of the system might be indicated as well, but in any case it would just be a mild indicator and not a guarantee of anything just like Color dosent guarantee any particular planet type.

Perhaps if theirs a 2 layer aproatch, a "disk" layer that could consists of small, medium or Large disks for the central star. A second "Halo" layer that contains stuff around the star. Their would be a 4 pointed ray, a many pointed ray, a difuse Halo, stuff that looks like Solar Flares ect ect.

Idealy the Disk and Halo layers would be combined in some way and then colorized for a huge number of combinations. 3 Disks, 5 Halos and 5 Colors (I personaly would like to see more colors like sky blue, teal, magenta). That would make almost every star unique.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#32 Post by Daveybaby »

Alternatively, have different display modes for the starmap which show different information - Normal, economic, population, unrest, military etc. That way its much easier for the player to pick out relevant information for the tasks they are currently concentrating on.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by Impaler »

StarWars Galxies had a similar system, you selected an atribute (like # of Refineries, # of Troops ect ect) and the stars in the Galxie change size to indicate the diferences.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#34 Post by Daveybaby »

True... although hopefully FO would make a better job of it than SWG did (i.e. keep different display modes visually distinct, so that you can tell at a glace what mode youre in, plus a hotkey to quickly cycle through display modes is essential) :P

Edit - i knew this had been discussed before : viewtopic.php?p=8876&highlight=#8876
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by Impaler »

So whats the opinion of the Disk/Halo/Color combination aproatch? Even if it dosent get used for information display it would still provide a great variety to the stars alsmost letting you identify a system just by its star as your going to have something like 3x5x4 = 60 combinations.

Rockstone
Space Squid

#36 Post by Rockstone »

drek wrote:*nod* the smaller stars look like the way to go.

I was hoping to create large animated stars to go along with the animated planets on the sidebar:

http://home.earthlink.net/~drekmonger/startest2.avi

But, the star is generated by a particle system. Haven't figured out a good way to make it loop yet. Tried ping-ponging, and it looked really cheesy.

/probably a lost cause.

EDIT: i bet a crossfade would work.
wav file?windows midi player dose not work with it.
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

noelte
Juggernaut

#37 Post by noelte »

try bsplayer it's an animation

hadrian_27
Space Floater

#38 Post by hadrian_27 »

Impaler wrote:Idealy the Disk and Halo layers would be combined in some way and then colorized for a huge number of combinations. 3 Disks, 5 Halos and 5 Colors (I personaly would like to see more colors like sky blue, teal, magenta). That would make almost every star unique.
Good idea, would make for some interesting mods as well 8) .

Given the previous choices, I say #1, then 3, then 2.
WSNBM/ONBP SLC 2K4

muxec
Space Kraken

#39 Post by muxec »

This animated star looks unrealistic : ) :p

noelte
Juggernaut

#40 Post by noelte »

Hi,

I think will should come to a point here, we need star images for the following types of stars (to be used at v.2 at galaxy map). There is no need for animated stars right now (although it would be nice), just static pics would be nice.

EDIT: Make it more clean.

As Zach said below we need star images for the following types to be shown at galaxy map.
blue star........ (we have 1 images already)
white star.......(we have 0 images already)
yellow star......(we have 2 images already)
orange star.....(we have 0 images already)
red star...........(we have 2 images already)
neutron star....(we have 0 images already)
black star........(we have 0 images already)

The stars we have were already used by fo v.1. New star should match them. I think two images per type would be fine.
Last edited by noelte on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#41 Post by drek »

-nm-

editted.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#42 Post by tzlaine »

noelte wrote:Hi,

I think will should come to a point here, we need star images for the following types of stars (to be used at v.2 at galaxy map). There is no need for animated stars right now (although it would be nice), just static pics would be nice.

Used types at sidepanel:
switch (m_system->Star())
{
case System::BLUE : star_image += "blue0" ; break;
case System::WHITE : star_image += "white0" ; break;
case System::YELLOW : star_image += "yellow0" ; break;
case System::ORANGE : star_image += "orange0" ; break;
case System::RED : star_image += "red0" ; break;
case System::NEUTRON : star_image += "neutron0" ; break;
case System::BLACK : star_image += "blackhole0"; break;
default : star_image += "white0" ; break;
}

anyone? :-)

In case anyone is thrown off by this code, he just means that we need at least one star image for each of these colors, including neutron stars and black holes. We already have one blue, two red, and two yellow star images, but not any of the others. Obviously, any new ones need to be in the same style as the ones we already have. These are the stars you see on the main map, not in the sidepanel. We already have all the more detailed sidepanel star images.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#43 Post by drek »

Check.

That was my question before I deleted the message. I was wondering if it was for sidepanel or galaxy map.

Thanks.