galaxy creation images

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#16 Post by vorenhutz »

The splash screen -
OK, now since this is a graphic I can finally argue based on 'realism'. The galaxy looks too close somehow. Probably a nebula would look better in that spot. Might I suggest the Orion Nebula as a model ? :)
http://vis.sdsc.edu/research/orion.html
Also I agree it could do with more color.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#17 Post by Satyagraha »

miu wrote:btw, what program you're using to make them?
it´s photoshop only :shock: photoshop can get you amazing results, it´s actually pretty easy with the help of these tutorials: http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tutorials.html
very good site.
drek wrote:the color and black band behind the logo remind me a little too much of moo3.
sorry, didn´t know that :( i put the band in only to make it more visible and look a bit like the background of the window...
vorenhutz wrote:OK, now since this is a graphic I can finally argue based on 'realism'. The galaxy looks too close somehow. Also I agree it could do with more color.
hehe, and realistic spaceships don´t go BOOM when you shoot them, but everyone wants them to ;) about color, well, i like pics that don´t have a lot of colors... EVE hasn´t either...
http://www.eve-online.com

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#18 Post by Satyagraha »

updated pics in 1st post. better now?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by pd »

the second one looks strange, the rest is great.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by tzlaine »

Much better! They were already very good, just not at the reduced size at which they appear in the game. Now they're perfect. When can we expect the picture for ring galaxies?

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#21 Post by Satyagraha »

i´ll be on vacation for a week now and won´t be around much. So I guess in 2 weeks or something.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#22 Post by Satyagraha »

updated pics on 1st page.

- added ring galaxy
- added 3-arm galaxy
- added splash
- updated some others

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by pd »

great stuff, but the splash could need some more colors and it's also too bright for my taste.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#24 Post by Tyreth »

Satyagraha, so long as you are happy to release these images in the license for FO, I'll probably add these into the game for the next release - they're looking good.

The splash screen probably won't be used though, but it does look very good.

muxec
Space Kraken

#25 Post by muxec »

How can I generate these images without Photoshop? Do you have some probablistic matrix to put stars randomly and than render them using gausian/linear/square/some cool function blur?