request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Eistoeter
Space Floater

#136 Post by Eistoeter »

I didn't gave up on it but it seems you don't need em anymore.

muxec
Space Kraken

#137 Post by muxec »

Tryed to design something with DOGA L1.

Not what requested, but yet almost OK.
Not textured, can be textured in L3, but L3 does not create motion unles registred (although you can use tricky ways and render movie even without registration). Now i want to design ground defence in DOGA L1

Texturized:

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#138 Post by utilae »

That looks good textured.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#139 Post by Zanzibar »

I believe the request has been filled for v0.2. Perhaps when we are ready for v0.3 or v0.4 we will need more ships in this thread. Not to be rude or anything, but please don't post to a stickied thread unless it applies. Just post a new thread or something.

muxec
Space Kraken

#140 Post by muxec »

OK. Sorry. But anyway mine may be useful in v0.3 : )

And BTW...
Zanzibar, if you create a multi-joint object you can use different textures, colors, matherials for different parts.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#141 Post by utilae »

Zanzibar wrote:I believe the request has been filled for v0.2. Perhaps when we are ready for v0.3 or v0.4 we will need more ships in this thread. Not to be rude or anything, but please don't post to a stickied thread unless it applies. Just post a new thread or something.
I think it's ok posting ships in this thread. Better to have all these ship renders in one place, then have everybody doing their own in seperate threads.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#142 Post by drek »

Zanzibar wrote:I believe the request has been filled for v0.2. Perhaps when we are ready for v0.3 or v0.4 we will need more ships in this thread. Not to be rude or anything, but please don't post to a stickied thread unless it applies. Just post a new thread or something.
It's a good thing to have placeholder graphics--but just like my placeholder planets/title screen/etc it should be accepted that they'll be replaced as soon as something better comes along.

Chances are, a talented experienced artist willing and able to work on FO starships isn't going to drop out of the sky any day soon. If he/she does, I wouldn't want to disuade 'im from posting to this thread.

muxec:

Feel free to post. You've done nothing wrong.

The specular highlights seem wierd to me, esp. on the the flat top of the model.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#143 Post by Obiwan »

Ive tried Doga and think its fun to use. Unfortunately they dont import smoothly into Wings.

There usefullness as a base for further detailing is reduced because models are just components pushed into one another. hense there is wasted geometry inside the modal. Though their low poly to begin with so its hardly an issue.

An efficiently built ship where every vertice counts for something is good.
This was built in Wings specifically for FO and although fairly detailed only weighs in at -
36,669 faces
68,728 edges
35,345 vertices

and as a 3ds. is 1,296 KB. thats without any assigned UV's though.
Im sure this is way to heavy for realtime rendered stuff, but we can worry about that later.

Zanzibars fleet will do fine for next version. I quite like them.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#144 Post by Daveybaby »

'fairly detailed'?????

If thats only 'fairly' detailed, then the pope is only 'fairly' catholic.

I assume (well, pray) that this is only for pre-rendered stuff. Or is the '9 years to completion' estimate that i saw bandied about recently due to the time required for the graphics cards to catch up so that they can render 50 of those in real time?

Edit: Okay, yes, i'm being fairly sarcastic. However, i do think those models are a bit 'fussy'. Theres just too much detail there - a lot of it would be better suited to texture mapping in the first place. Also, youve got so many lumps and bumps all over those ships that it becomes hard to make out their function. You want some areas of high detail (e.g. weapons) to draw attention to them, and the other less exciting bits of the ship, should look less exciting.

Oh, and i do like the overall shape of the ship, kinda like B5 stuff in feel. Just needs fewer bumps.
Last edited by Daveybaby on Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

noelte
Juggernaut

#145 Post by noelte »

@Daveybaby :lol:

This model reminds me to human babylon 5 star ships.

BTW: There are tools which can reduce those fairly detailed models. Don't ask me right now, but i'm sure those tools exists.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#146 Post by Daveybaby »

@noelte : AAAAAAAH we really must stop editing our posts at the same time :D
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#147 Post by miu »

Looks great :) Some of those details could be shown with bump-maps/displacements. This ship would be great for cutscene/intro/winning/losing-animation.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#148 Post by Obiwan »

:D Woah easy there Daveybaby
Im sure this is way to heavy for realtime rendered stuff, but we can worry about that later.
A lower res modal would be used of course with a texture created from a render of this one. Or as miu said 'bump-maps/displacements'

This is deffinately for cut scene animation or splash screens. In fact nightstalkers been working on one with this ship rendered in Bryce. Ill have to see how hes going with it.

I didnt mean to be smart saying 'fairly detailed, its just that the mesh is fairly simple compared to detail shown- which is what i ment but not what i said---- i think :? ,

never mind heres low res destroyer with various weopon options

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#149 Post by Zanzibar »

I could just about do that low res destroyer with DOGA!! :D But from feedback from previous attempts at making ships, I thought we didn't want many gun turrets on them? Anyhow, whatever... And yes, it would be *very* nice if wings could import DOGA model files. I'd love to see what I could do with those in wings!! (For some reason, I can't seem to get the shapes I want out of just plain cubes, cylinders, and cones; but if I already had the base shapes, it wouldn't be that hard to detail them out more!).

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#150 Post by Obiwan »

Well Yim doesnt seam to be working.

@Zanzibar. Create an octotoad or cube,select a face(f), and try bevel or extrude function from the R-click menu.

always watch for written help down the bottom status bar.

Select a face,vertice or edge and move it along its 'normal'.

Once youve created a bacic interesting shape, select it all and hit (s), smooth function.

Youll be on your way soon anough :)