Marking the idea of a planet generator.

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Polymorpher
Space Krill

Marking the idea of a planet generator.

#1 Post by Polymorpher »

Now I realize it may be too early to be concerned with that. But still Geoff the Medio said I should lay out my brain juice around here and I'm doing so bit by bit, starting with this.

No doubt you hand made 1 by 1 planets are fine. However i think a carefully designed planet generator will at a point reduce your graphic effort, and ultimately skyrocket your planets appearance...

I can define the some or all of the color specifics for generation and generation patterns.
But if you wish explore this idea I would say you have to install 2 games I have in mind, take a good look around and really get the feel of what I have in mind, because the words I can use here are not going to give you much orientation.

You can look at Mass Effect 2 particularly their patterns, their color schemes are pretty good too, but I think those can be buffed with the proper contrasts and lighting.

However if ME2 is too big for you, you can take a look at a lower grade of planets at Space Rangers 2.

I can give you save games that you would need for full free exploration without needing to play to unlock.

If this is played out right, you can give people and orgasm by the time they are still at your main splash screen.

Needless to say, that the idea is not to copy these people, but rather to get a sense of how look like - live.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Marking the idea of a planet generator.

#2 Post by eleazar »

Procedurally generated planets would probably be a good fit for FO. The main advantage IMHO is that we get a potentially infinite number of different looking planets.

There are several open source projects working on such generators that we may someday want to borrow. I haven't examined them recently.

If you want to show us what Mass Effects planets look like, it would be more practical for you to take some screenshots and post them, or link to screenshots on the web.