Web site doodads

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

Web site doodads

#1 Post by Aquitaine »

I think some enterprising individual should make a little logo or some miscellaneous foo for the freeorion.org home page. :)

sincerely,
a non-enterprising individual
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

muxec
Space Kraken

#2 Post by muxec »

What color and dimmensions do you suggest?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by Aquitaine »

I think it'd actually be worthwhile to have a whole theme for the front page. It'd need to contain most of the same things -- maybe not as many announcements (like just the previous two with a link to the announcement board).

I'm not sure there's much point in just doing a couple doodads like I originally was thinking. If we spend time and energy on the website, we should do it once and do it right.

In terms of color scheme, as much as I liked the 'space look' of the old web site, the red-on-black was very difficult to read. I'm not much of a visual designer, but I think something with a light background and darker colors -- blues, greens, maybe a silver -- would be nice.

And a pony. I'd like a pony.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Zed
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by Zed »

http://www.oswd.org

Plenty great web designs available for use :)
--Zed

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by That Guy »

Some of those are ok, but they are not what we want, they are abit generic.

I am hoping the come up with something better. But thanks anyways, it is a good suggestion.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

muxec
Space Kraken

#6 Post by muxec »

Maybe we just replace phpBB logo with FO logo for the beginning?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

isn't this already done? anyways, feel free to use my proposal, tyreth(?). i changed the colors to fit the current ones.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

It is done. Let me know if you like this logo or if you'd prefer to use the same one as on the main page: http://www.freeorion.org

Izverg
Space Krill

#9 Post by Izverg »

I prefer old logo, from main page. It is more stylish. By the way, the old site was simply magnificent.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#10 Post by Aquitaine »

Izverg wrote:I prefer old logo, from main page. It is more stylish. By the way, the old site was simply magnificent.
It was stylish but very difficult to read - red on black, arg. damn yer eyes!

noelte
Juggernaut

#11 Post by noelte »

I'm not sure, but hasn't the link area (FAQ,Search,...) also moved? Now i have to scroll to see all links.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by pd »

hmm, i thought this was for the frontpage... the phpbb logo in the forum was ok for me, since it's only the forum and it is already headlined with 'FreeOrion'.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The new logo is too wide. It's forcing a horizontal scrollbar on every forum page for me. Quite annoying, as I can't read a line of text without scrolling... back and forth for each line.

Could it be made half the size and put centred at the top of the page? (Or about a third of the size where it is now)

The main page logo would also be too wide to put at the top-left.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by Tyreth »

Aquitaine wrote:
Izverg wrote:I prefer old logo, from main page. It is more stylish. By the way, the old site was simply magnificent.
It was stylish but very difficult to read - red on black, arg. damn yer eyes!
I didn't find it difficult to read at all, but it may have appeared differently on different computer screens+colour depths.
pd wrote: hmm, i thought this was for the frontpage... the phpbb logo in the forum was ok for me, since it's only the forum and it is already headlined with 'FreeOrion'.
Ah, my mistake. I'm happy with the current logo on the front page. What do the rest of you prefer?
I put back the old phpBB logo for now since it makes it appear too wide on some resolutions.