sidepanel behaviour at different resolutions?

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#16 Post by pd »

"If you want it to look exactly the same, only with more pixels, it would be a problem and time better spent elsewhere IMHO. "'
nobody wants this...

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#17 Post by Daveybaby »

miu wrote:I still think we should do as I suggested first, thus optimizing UI for 1024x768 which would be default resolution, but if player wants, he can play with bigger resolutions. Though buttons would seem smaller in them, benefits gained by extra space on starmap and side-bar are worth it. And we don't really need to worry if it looks optimized or not in HUGE resolutions, but at least up to 1280x1024 this does work well. (and would allow running game in resizable window as it knows how to scale for non-standard resolutions). And your strangest laptop-screen resolution would not be a problem at all :)
This is exactly the right approach. Design for 1024x768 but allow the use of higher resolutions so that the parts of the UI which scale well (starmap, space combat (it should be safe to assume that space combat display will scale well), planet sidebar and anything in the form of a list. The option to run at 1600x1200 should certainly be a viable one.

That screen shot worries me... it implies that there are some hard coded screen resolution values somewhere in the galaxy map code - which is not a good thing.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

noelte
Juggernaut

#18 Post by noelte »

Daveybaby wrote:That screen shot worries me... it implies that there are some hard coded screen resolution values somewhere in the galaxy map code - which is not a good thing.
I can't see from where you get the impression of hard coded screen resolution!

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#19 Post by Daveybaby »

Because the starmap is mirrored along axes at 1024x768 pixels from the top-right corner, while the rest of the display functions correctly at 1600x1200. So where has the map display software gotten hold of the values 1024x768 if the display mode is 1600x1200? It looks like there must be some code somewhere in the starmap display which is hardcoded at 1024x768 instead of going off and getting the actual display resolution.

noelte
Juggernaut

#20 Post by noelte »

don't worry, it works as it should. I do not know how miu did the shot but i just did a quick test and everything is ok.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by pd »

miu simply took a shot from 800x600 and mirrored it for the starmap...

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#22 Post by Daveybaby »

Ahhh - didnt realise it was a mockup - thought it was an actual in-game shot.

Doh! :oops: