A loading screen

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
nightwalker
Space Floater

#31 Post by nightwalker »

ihave made some pic for the LP too but how do u show them without having to make a URL?
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by miu »

how about showing planetary backgroundpics between turns as well?
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#33 Post by Extremepumpkin »

yeh! Just not the hideous one that moo3 came with :D
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

charlieg
Space Floater

#34 Post by charlieg »

The colony pic should definitely be a loading screen!

Xardas
Space Kraken

#35 Post by Xardas »

I dont think so.
I mean loading screen should be repsresentative for the game, therefore a galaxy screen works probably.
I mean this picture is good, but I would prefer it when it appears in planet/colony view and not as loading screen.

nightwalker
Space Floater

#36 Post by nightwalker »

i agree! anyway i dont Obi intened think his pix for a load screen
Last edited by nightwalker on Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#37 Post by Extremepumpkin »

I think that the planetary pictures being used as loading screens might seem a bit "cheap". almost recycled. just my opinion

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#38 Post by miu »

I understand the "cheap"-feel.
On other hand, I like the idea that we have lots of turn-load pictures for random-order showing, in the end - with planetary backgrounds, cityscapes(though not really designed for this big resolution), shipdesign-renders, race-pics etc. Instead of having only pics specially made for this purpose we could easily have >100 pics to show.

In 0.2, this would slightly eat the value of planetary backgroundpics - how many players would really look them ingame as you can see them during turnload? But when we get more visual material done, I dont see this as major issue as planetary backgroundpics would be a small percent of total turnload pics.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

drek
Designer Emeritus

#39 Post by drek »

Good point Miu.

Actually, once we have more material to work with it might be cool to make some informative collage type load screens. In the case of planet enviroments for example, there's be a big pd render of the planet from space, an obi render of the surface, and some flavor text. For a ship part, a close up of the ship part, an action pic of the part attached to a ship and doing it's thang, and some flavor text. Ditto for each race, branch of the tech tree etc.

Hrm, if we had some larger planet renders from pd, we could do the planet enviroment load screen now.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#40 Post by pd »

if we had some larger planet renders from pd, we could do the planet enviroment load screen now.
i will definitly make high res renderings of all planets, but i'm very busy for the next 2 weeks. and simply rendering the current planets in a higher resolution isn't a good idea. i need to do additional texture work.

in future we may also add ships and starbases to the planet's orbit.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#41 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Yeh, I like the collage idea. that'll work well.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#42 Post by Satyagraha »

it would be nice to have some additional info or statistics about the current state of your empire displayed on loading screens, in order to make it connect to the game. f.e. obiwan´s colony pic could come with statistics that compare the current state each races´ colonies. pics & static flavour texts only may get boring once you´ve seen them all.