splash v0.2

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks great.

I can't help but think some *very minimal* animation would also help. I'm envisioning some very slowly moving cloud patterns coupled with some small lightning flashes underneath, a few twinkling stars (tasteful and small effect), and a slow moving pulsing light over the planet in the starfield (looking like a sattelite seen form earth). The key thing would be to keep all changes minor and slow, to keep the sense of scale.

The star/nebula/galaxy thing is a bit too sharp. Some blurring would probably make it look further way...

Will this be available in several resolutions? I don't imagine the starfield or tiny planet details will scale very well...

Edit: Lightning from space video
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/earth/pic ... htning.mpg

(not quite what I had in mind, but interesting)

Izverg
Space Krill

#17 Post by Izverg »

pd wrote:
Izverg wrote:Great. But old font was more attractive.
uhm, what did i say?
me wrote:ah, and please give this font a chance and don't simply say it sucks, or something.
right ;)
Right, right... OK... I don't say it sucks. It`s greate font, but is epic font. And i think, this font is not compatible to other graphics of FO (e.g. grapichs of GUI). It`s other style. IMHO :)
P.S. But image is really great.

Acoc
Space Krill

#18 Post by Acoc »

Thanks for the video Geoff, it's always nice to learn something new. I agree that the lightning that could be in the picture would have to be different, but it's great to see what happens in nature. Maybe a light with a little bluish tint would contrast well on the overall orange/red of the planet.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by Tyreth »

Izverg wrote: Right, right... OK... I don't say it sucks. It`s greate font, but is epic font. And i think, this font is not compatible to other graphics of FO (e.g. grapichs of GUI). It`s other style. IMHO :)
P.S. But image is really great.
Not much of the graphics are really fixed - if the font is really good and the GUI can be improved by matching it, then it's all good. We're not fixed to a particular design if a better one comes along, so long as our artists are able to pull it off.

Izverg
Space Krill

#20 Post by Izverg »

Tyreth wrote: Not much of the graphics are really fixed - if the font is really good and the GUI can be improved by matching it, then it's all good. We're not fixed to a particular design if a better one comes along, so long as our artists are able to pull it off.
How about skins in FO (for GUI)? It will allow to satisfy any taste and will add flexibility. I am sorry if this subject was already discussed.

Zio
Space Krill

#21 Post by Zio »

Hallo everybody, that's my first post here, and I'm really happy to see someone (many and many!) interested in making a freeware master of orion game. So, I'd like to show the way I imagine a possible logo for freeOrion, made with a freeware font, skylab by Dan Bailey, found there: http://www.chank.com/freefont_detail.php?sku=1038

Here I show a light or dark color alternative (simply a negative version):
best quality jpg, around 100kb
I'm sure you could do a better work with that good sci-fi techno font

Eistoeter
Space Floater

#22 Post by Eistoeter »

That's what i call a good job

hadrian_27
Space Floater

font and splash screen

#23 Post by hadrian_27 »

I dunno, the font is interesting, but a bit complicated. I don't know if I could imagine it being used other than for title graphics and such. Seeing it in "informative" or "small print" sections might be to much of assault on the viewer's senses. Unless of course if it was designed for the sole purpose of title screens etc. Then I could see how it would work 8) .

The splash screen (imo) looks great, like the font (it fits with the image), too many stars in original posted image, but then again everyone's talked about that already. Just one question. Has it been decided that there will be a seperate splash screen for each version, or is this untrue?
WSNBM/ONBP SLC 2K4

Zio
Space Krill

Re: font and splash screen

#24 Post by Zio »

hadrian_27 wrote:I dunno, the font is interesting, but a bit complicated. I don't know if I could imagine it being used other than for title graphics and such.
Of course it is only a decorative fonts, it works well for titles and nothing else in a game, it is just an alternative look proposal :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#25 Post by pd »

hadrian_27 wrote:Just one question. Has it been decided that there will be a seperate splash screen for each version, or is this untrue?
nothing like this has been decided, but it isn't a big thing. i think i will create at least one splash per version and due to the splash is also used as turn screen, we could then have a rotation of those splahes. should be pretty easy to implement. ;)