0.3 graphics summary / sidepanel revision

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: 0.3 graphics summary / sidepanel revision

#301 Post by Bigjoe5 »

pd wrote:One problem I have with this "split meter" solution is that on growing and complete meters, there's wasted space for the target meter. The actual meters are thinner than they have to be.
If desired, the actual meters could fill the available space if they are below and at target, but I thought that would be a bit visually confusing, since a greater meter width would suggest a greater value for a given length, whereas the fact is that only length is meant to depict the value of the meters.

I feel like having skinny meters is preferable to having solid target lines crossing over the nicely gradated body of the meter, since I find it much less visually jarring.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#302 Post by pd »

I do find the skinny split meters appealing as well, I'm just concerned it might be confusing to new players, maybe unnecessary so. I'll leave it to Geoff.

OllyG
Space Kraken

#303 Post by OllyG »

Would it be possible to have two rows for buildings in the sidepanel? One for planet based and one for orbital?
This would put all the Ship Yard upgrades next to the shipyard.

Differentiating between orbital and planetbound buildings will be nessecary for the 3D space combat anyway.

Possibly orbital buildings should be more affected by blockades and some random events (if we have them in the future.)
pd wrote: ... repositioning the star(like in one of eleazar's mockups) and centering the system's production output make for a more organized feel.

The part of the sidebar which displays the total resources output for the whole system shouldn't stick out as far left as the planet images. It should only be as wide as the bar containing the system name. I do agree that it is better with the resources centred.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#304 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OllyG wrote:The part of the sidebar which displays the total resources output for the whole system shouldn't stick out as far left as the planet images. It should only be as wide as the bar containing the system name.
It's intentionally wide like it is so that the planet panels have something to scroll "under" when the list of planets is scrolled down. Otherwise, they just get cut off partly, which looks a bit odd... (as happens at the bottom of the list).

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#305 Post by em3 »

How about something like this:
Quick mockup
Quick mockup
sidepanelmockup.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
Leaving a minimal bar for the planets to roll under, while moving the icons to the solar panel.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#306 Post by eleazar »

em3 wrote:....Leaving a minimal bar for the planets to roll under, while moving the icons to the solar panel.
Not a bad suggestion, but for something that's not actually broken, and given the probability of other things changing, it's probably not worth doing now.

OllyG
Space Kraken

#307 Post by OllyG »

I have noticed that the order of the planets displayed in the sidebar is often off. In the starting system my starting planet is often at the bottom of the list, even if it is numbered I.
There seems to be a bug, where the displayed numbers of the planets and the order of the graphics is different. (SVN 4592)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#308 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OllyG wrote:I have noticed that the order of the planets displayed in the sidebar is often off. In the starting system my starting planet is often at the bottom of the list, even if it is numbered I.
There seems to be a bug, where the displayed numbers of the planets and the order of the graphics is different. (SVN 4592)
I hadn't noticed this, but it does seem to be happening with homeworlds, though not always. Could you add a sourceforge bug report about it?