Energy Frigate

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
yandonman
Creative Contributor

Energy Frigate

#1 Post by yandonman »

Another variation on an energy ship (of some kind)
Default Pass.Ship Design- Contained Energy Scout-viewport.jpg
Default Pass.Ship Design- Contained Energy Scout-viewport.jpg (46.9 KiB) Viewed 11980 times
https://clara.io/view/b860deac-3282-4bf ... 6bd/render
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Energy Frigate

#2 Post by MatGB »

That, is so very pretty. I want to spec up a ship just so we can use it. Energy line is overpowered but could do with a lighter ship class, I think. Hmm...
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

That looks really cool! :D

marcOSX
Space Squid

#4 Post by marcOSX »

Great job I would love to play with that!

adrian_broher
Programmer

#5 Post by adrian_broher »

Where are the source files?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:Where are the source files?
To expand on Marcel's inquiry-- please submit a PR with the source files to https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion-assets
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:please submit a PR
README.md of freeorion-assets wrote:Pull requests to this repository are rejected by default. To contribute to the FreeOrion project please refer to our How to Help page.
Looks like Marcel set up the repo with PRs disabled or something like that, so pls post source files here.

Or we enable PRs on the assets repo - Marcel, is there a specific reason why you disabled PRs on the assets repo?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#8 Post by adrian_broher »

Looks like Marcel set up the repo with PRs disabled or something like that, so pls post source files here.
PRs are not disabled (you can't disable them without third party software), it's just a policy I would like to enforce. This is because most asset files are not merge-able and I would like to prevent any issues (and social drama) by choosing 'the best version' from multiple PRs in case there is a merge conflict.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:it's just a policy I would like to enforce. This is because most asset files are not merge-able and I would like to prevent any issues (and social drama) by choosing 'the best version' from multiple PRs in case there is a merge conflict.
Ah, I see, makes sense. However, in cases like this I think we could/should make an exception. So I'd suggest to slightly adjust this policy to something along these lines: "PRs to this repo are rejected by default. Please only open a PR if specifically asked to." Would that be ok?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#10 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:Ah, I see, makes sense. However, in cases like this I think we could/should make an exception. So I'd suggest to slightly adjust this policy to something along these lines: "PRs to this repo are rejected by default. Please only open a PR if specifically asked to." Would that be ok?
Yes, I changed that according to your suggestion.
Resident code gremlin

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

yandonman wrote:Another variation on an energy ship (of some kind)

https://clara.io/view/b860deac-3282-4bf ... 6bd/render
Clara.io doesn't let me see it even though I created an account (matgb there as well as here if you're able to grant access), but I really want to implement a ship based around that art, a moderately sized frigate that's required before you can get to the overpowered stuff would help balance them a bit anyway.

Can you make the art into both a standard icon for the production window and a design panel version? (I really suck at art manipulation, I just don't do visuals very well).

I'm thinking either 3 or 4 external slots, one internal slot, moderate structure and a cost somewhere around the robotic hull, probably just above it, faster but with no self repair would be balanced enough I think.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by yandonman »

I'm just learning Clara.IO, so bare with me a bit:

Try this link:
https://clara.io/view/b860deac-3282-4bf ... 2d25b656bd

The export is too large to post (at least the OBJ one is). Any preference on export type?

Option available to me for exporting:
Collada
OBJ
FBX
ThreeJS Scene
Clara Archive
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

yandonman wrote:The export is too large to post (at least the OBJ one is).
No need to post it here, please create a pull request for our freeorion-assets repo on github.
Any preference on export type?
Actually Blender, as that's by far the best free open-source 3D modeler/renderer out there (AFAIK), but from the list you provided:
Option available to me for exporting:
Collada
OBJ
FBX
ThreeJS Scene
Clara Archive
...Collada, OBJ (I assume that's Wavefront .obj files?) and FBX (I assume that's Autodesk FBX files?) will do, Blender claims to be able to import all these.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by yandonman »

Going through github learning pains:
https://github.com/yandonman/freeorion-assets/pull/1

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by yandonman »

Still learning github; it's a bit different. Try #2.
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion-assets/pull/1

There's no 3-D folder under default\data (that I know of), so I just guessed. If there is a preference for models, let me know.

My re-import into Clara.IO didn't have any textures... if it works for someone else, I'd be surprised. Looking into it...