0.4 UI thread

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

0.4 UI thread

#1 Post by The Silent One »

Hi guys, it has been a while! :) I've been following Freeorion's progress continuously and you guys are doing a great job! I'd like to share some ideas with you about the UI that I had playing.

Production screen:
- open screen by double-clicking planets (like it is with systems now)?
- have the items of the production queue show how much production will be added at the end of the turn (like meter bars do), as suggested by Eleazar previously
- free up map space (at some point), maybe like in the mockup below

Sidepanel (system view):
- meter bars do not feel very useful, at least I never really look at them. ... Opinions?
- system overview could use work at some point

Fleets:
- Tooltip of ship damage icon does not show equipped weapons, as it is with structure, shields etc.

Research screen:
- the research list view does not update on opening/closing the research screen (same for production screen)

Just some ideas, probably nothing that needs attending before v0.4.5.
Attachments
Mockup of production screen
Mockup of production screen
Production Screen.jpg (247.4 KiB) Viewed 17607 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: 0.4 UI thread

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:Production screen:
- open screen by double-clicking planets (like it is with systems now)?
Yes, I would consider that a good one-- I can't seem to make myself stop trying to open it by double clicking planets. :)
- have the items of the production queue show how much production will be added at the end of the turn (like meter bars do), as suggested by Eleazar previously
I have some sort of vague memory there was a reason we're not doing this, but the idea does have appeal, probably worth looking into.
Fleets:
- Tooltip of ship damage icon does not show equipped weapons, as it is with structure, shields etc.
Right, we've already had some discussions about that, it's quite likely to get changed.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by pheldens »

some gripes/tips after playing 2 days;

- I would like the current production queue and the research queue to be resizable like the other windows. so people can arrange them to their own UI preference.

- The 'empires' icon at the top right could be a crown, theres a crown icon used in old versions of free orion, for capital planets

- The fleet management window should be splittable , or have a horizontal mode where fleet contents are shown to the right hand side when you click a fleet. (more efficient on widescreen monitors)

- popups need to be shown further above the mouse cursor and off to the right, particularily in the production selector

- the left up right arrow icons in Pedia need to be a flat theme, not the current << ^ >> pixel art.

- performance on hw accelerated mesa is ass (current git freeorion) , I have tried to profile what causes it but dont see a clear outlier

wheals
Space Squid

#4 Post by wheals »

pheldens wrote: - The 'empires' icon at the top right could be a crown, theres a crown icon used in old versions of free orion, for capital planets
It's still in the repo if there's anyone around who wants to edit it to look good on the top bar.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

pheldens wrote:- the left up right arrow icons in Pedia need to be a flat theme, not the current << ^ >> pixel art.
"need to be"? That's a pretty strong statement-- do you have any justification to share?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

pheldens wrote:- The 'empires' icon at the top right could be a crown, theres a crown icon used in old versions of free orion, for capital planets
That's correct, but it does not fit the style of the other buttons. However, the one attached does. It's not perfect, could need a stronger outline, but it's a start.
Attachments
empires.png
empires.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 17538 times
empires_clicked.png
empires_clicked.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 17538 times
empires_mouseover.png
empires_mouseover.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 17538 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#7 Post by The Silent One »

Another idea I'd like to bring up for discussion: in civ V, there are these event markers on the right side of the screen that can be removed by right clicking; by doing so the player can work through the events and make sure he doesn't overlook anything.
This could be a good idea for Freeorion's sitrep as well. I would imagine it to work like this:
- moving the mouse over an sitrep entry shows a check mark at the right side (see image)
- clicking the check-mark hides the entry
- if the player accidently removes an entry, he can enable "show invisible sitreps entries" and will now see all entries that he hid on this turn

I believe this would be a good method to improve the usability of the sitrep.

Also, I'd like to point to an old suggestion by pd on how the sidepanel could be resized:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=865&hilit=sidepane ... 285#p44183

Just want to keep this idea around.
Attachments
sitrep.jpg
sitrep.jpg (145.3 KiB) Viewed 17533 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

The Silent One wrote:
pheldens wrote:- The 'empires' icon at the top right could be a crown, theres a crown icon used in old versions of free orion, for capital planets
That's correct, but it does not fit the style of the other buttons. However, the one attached does. It's not perfect, could need a stronger outline, but it's a start.
They look quite nice. Can you do the whole "I release this work under the Creative Commons licence FO uses" statement then I'll mess about seeing if I can figure out how to do image uploads (unless someone else with more experience of Git-with-Linux wants to give it a go, or you can create a pull request on the repo yourself which is the ideal).
- moving the mouse over an sitrep entry shows a check mark at the right side (see image)
- clicking the check-mark hides the entry
- if the player accidently removes an entry, he can enable "show invisible sitreps entries" and will now see all entries that he hid on this turn
This sounds like it could be a good idea, I certainly find it annoying to have to scroll back through to the right place when I've got a lot going on, just confirming, it's not like the perma hide of the filters per type, it's for that specific sitrep on that turn only (and it would presumably reshow itself if you go back a turn in the sitrep menu?)

I'd personally love it if the Sitrep panel could remember where I was in the same way the Objects panel does.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#9 Post by The Silent One »

MatGB wrote:Can you do the whole "I release this work under the Creative Commons licence FO uses" statement
Done. :)
MatGB wrote:...then I'll mess about seeing if I can figure out how to do image uploads (unless someone else with more experience of Git-with-Linux wants to give it a go, or you can create a pull request on the repo yourself which is the ideal).
I'll see that I make myself familiar with github soon, but if you would upload the images for now, I'd appreciate it.
MatGB wrote:...it's not like the perma hide of the filters per type, it's for that specific sitrep on that turn only (and it would presumably reshow itself if you go back a turn in the sitrep menu?)
That's how I would imagine it to work.

Dilvish

#10 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:Also, I'd like to point to an old suggestion by pd on how the sidepanel could be resized:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=865&hilit=sidepane ... 285#p44183
Just want to keep this idea around.
So, pretty much the whole purpose of that suggestion is
pd wrote:to resize the sidepanel by dragging somewhere on the left side, instead of having to move the entire window to the left and and dragging from the bottom right corner?
This seems like a rather minor convenience for the coding cost. Sometimes programmers come around who want a little UI project, so it's conceivable it could get taken up by someone, but it seems very low priority to me.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

The Silent One wrote:
MatGB wrote:...then I'll mess about seeing if I can figure out how to do image uploads (unless someone else with more experience of Git-with-Linux wants to give it a go, or you can create a pull request on the repo yourself which is the ideal).
I'll see that I make myself familiar with github soon, but if you would upload the images for now, I'd appreciate it.
Done https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 53203da1fb

Gave up on command line merging and installed a Git GUI pack.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#12 Post by The Silent One »

Thank you.
Dilvish wrote:So, pretty much the whole purpose of that suggestion is
pd wrote:to resize the sidepanel by dragging somewhere on the left side, instead of having to move the entire window to the left and and dragging from the bottom right corner?
This seems like a rather minor convenience for the coding cost. Sometimes programmers come around who want a little UI project, so it's conceivable it could get taken up by someone, but it seems very low priority to me.
The "dragging feature" could be used in various places of the UI, like the top (resource/button) bar. I was also (wishfully ;) ) thinking about my suggestion for the production screen as well, where it could not only be used to adjust the width of the production panel, but also to change how much space the "select production" and the "production queue" panels take up.
To illustrate:
Attachments
Production Screen2.jpg
Production Screen2.jpg (158.6 KiB) Viewed 17507 times

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#13 Post by pheldens »

btw I noticed you can set the width of the buildlist and research list, in the config

The Silent One
Graphics

#14 Post by The Silent One »

I would like to suggest two new features/improvements for the fleet window:

- autocycle fleets: after issuing an order to a fleet, the next fleet in the window/system will be selected. Hitting the space key issues the order "hold position" and cycles to the next fleet.

- autoclose fleet window: if all fleets have received orders, the fleet window will close by itself.

Both UI behaviours could be switched on or off in the options, as it is with right-click closing.
On a different note: can the size of sitrep entries be adjusted in the config or options?

Also, a new sitrep icon for combat (works decently on a small size):
Attachments
combat.png
combat.png (5.82 KiB) Viewed 17462 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:Also, a new sitrep icon for combat (works decently on a small size):
Committed.