FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:27 am 
Space Kraken

For my own game project, i just got the sound code installed. I never knew how much fun audio could be! I also discovered Audacity and have been making robot sounds from a free recording of a freight elevator someone posted at GameDev.net

Anyway, since i have zero knowledge in anything audio related, what kinds of hardware do you guys use (especially for recording and field recording), and what kinds of software do you use afterwards to process it? I'm especially interested in Linux-compatible software since that is my primary OS.

I'm thinking of getting a minidisc player and a simple mic for doing sound effects recording for my game. All i know how to use is Audacity though. Is that enough?

Eventually i'd like to get into music, but i wouldn't have a clue where to start. Any thoughts? Can i make music entirely on the PC?

Thanks for your input. I know i sound like a newbie (i am)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:05 am 
Creative Contributor

I use an extremely old program that has excellent help for audio editing called cooledit pro. The technology hasn’t really changed much over the last 5 years (as far as I know.)

For recording I suggest you find yourself a mic that plugs into a USB port and encodes the signal digitally, and not one that uses a standard audio in jack on your computer. I've found that that background hiss you hear on most mics is usually caused by the analog jack and not the mic itself.

I'm just play around with it on the side too, so that's about all I know. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:25 am 
Krill Swarm

I am rather boring regular... Using Sonar 5, with some external synths.. and some onboard/dsp synths...