Lets not get demoralised!

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
mejoff
Space Krill

Lets not get demoralised!

#1 Post by mejoff »

Well, that was a bit of a blow, and it blows!
still, this should be seen as a fresh start, and i'd like to suggest some procedures for handling music and audio posting. At this point, there is only so much we can do with any kind of focus on the game itself, but that doesn't stop us from building up a bank of 'stuff' that the design team can pick and choose from.

MUSIC: anyone who can write a midi file, and suggest a use for it, post it where it can be got to.

Once the Midis are posted, anyone who can produce an MP3 (for now, we'll re encode them as .oggs or whatever the design team settle on when the time comes) from those Midis, doing interesting and or dramatic things with the production, do it and post them.

Even if you want to produce from yoour own Midi, post it first so as not to bias the other producer's impressions to much.

Once some produced versions are up, we can all discuss which version is preferred, and any changes we think need to be made then a final version can be posted for the rest of the team.

VOICES
pick a race from the list (when it reappears/is rewritten) an imagine how they would sound, post some samples and we can discuss them amongst ourselves and the designers of the races.

SOUND FX.
here, we'll just create as large a bank of interesting and unlikely noises as we can, sort them into vague catagories and let the coders and designers pick and choose what to use them for.

Drek, how much room do you have at drektopia?

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

re: drektopia

Rapidly running out of room/bandwidth; it's a cheap server and the contract is set to expire in a month or two anyway at which point I'm switching to an even more limited server that I get free with my cable modem service.

Finished oggs should probably go in the CVS (or someplace simlair) so there's no danger of them being lost. Before that I don't see a problem with people storing music files in a variety of free servers, like geocities.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by tzlaine »

FYI, ogg is the format for all music that the programming team has settled on. Sound effects can be wav or ogg.

Edit: Also, we have 100MB of web space for our project as Sourceforge. I'm going to keep saying this until someone listens. :?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

I have some server space that I'm willing to lend, but Sourceforge is best. My bandwidth is somewhat limited and my upload speed sucks.

However, if and when you guys need any voice acting done, that's actually what I'm qualified to do (as opposed to, I don't know, project administration). typically type cast as Jeremy-Irons-ish evil/stodgy brit types. No good for your frilly, happy aliens, but I'll frighten small children anytime.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#5 Post by Nightfish »

Can you do the pirate for my upcomming race of space pirates? With "arrrr" and stuff like that? :wink:

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by Tyreth »

Yes, I was going to mention sourceforge too. Until that space runs out, that would be a nice place to store the audio files. Any developer should have ssh access to the website directory to upload them.

mejoff
Space Krill

#7 Post by mejoff »

ok, that's settled then, ammendments to the above, post everything on our sourceforge space, in .mid or .ogg format.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Nightfish -- one of my old mp3s is called Pirate Waters (see my new thread slash introductory post in the Audio forum)... please try it out and see if it's even remotely close to what you were looking for. :)
Last edited by LithiumMongoose on Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron_Lugge
Space Floater

#9 Post by Ron_Lugge »

I hope that music critics are welcome? (Thats what I'm limited to, since I don't have the ability to compose music on the comp :( )
There are 10 types of people in the world;

Those who understand binary and those that don't.