FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Posts: 21
OK, here we go, this should hopefully keep you occupied a bit. this is everything from before (except for the 2 older laser sounds) plus a whole lot more:

5 lasers (3 blaster type - 2 phaser type)
3 explosions (s,m,l)
pulse gun update
point defense - multiple laser fire
missile launch redo
missile hit (2kinds)
missile destruct
fighter is now fighters
shield fizzle (2kinds)
radar beep/sweep (2kinds)
starlane exit-arrival update

here's the URL:

http://www.optisch-edel.de/fo/audio/scott/

all stereo WAV files 16 bit 44.1KHz

enjoy,

scott


Last edited by pd on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
replaced link with mirror


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 am 
Offline
Graphics Lead Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Posts: 1924
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E
This really deserves some attention and I wonder why nobody is providing some feedback? The sounds are gorgeous! I'll comment in detail tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:22 am 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Posts: 21
pd wrote:
This really deserves some attention and I wonder why nobody is providing some feedback? The sounds are gorgeous! I'll comment in detail tomorrow.


thanks - i was kinda wondering myself what was up... :? i'm happy somebody likes them. i just figured everyone else has their hands full with their day jobs and such. my goal is to outfit the combat section well enough to simulate a decent gameplay experience, but i'm going to start getting really busy in august. i figure the project is on a slow burn with the next likely point release to be 8 months away or so. still, if these are acceptable for the moment, i'd like to have them committed to Sourceforge so i can get em off my own server...

BTW what state is the combat section in at this point as far as development? is there a test build with anything being used or are you all still in the design phase? i know .3.13 doesn't have any actual combat as far as i can see, though the results get published. i've seen interface mockups and such but curious if its gotten any further.

need input...

scott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 pm 
Offline
Programming Lead Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:33 pm
Posts: 1092
metaphysician wrote:
pd wrote:
This really deserves some attention and I wonder why nobody is providing some feedback? The sounds are gorgeous! I'll comment in detail tomorrow.


thanks - i was kinda wondering myself what was up... :? i'm happy somebody likes them. i just figured everyone else has their hands full with their day jobs and such.

That's what's going on with me. I have absolutely no time for FO lately. I'm very interested in your efforts, though -- I've been wanting some set of sounds like this for a long time! I haven't found the time to actually listen to the sounds yet. :(

Quote:
BTW what state is the combat section in at this point as far as development? is there a test build with anything being used or are you all still in the design phase? i know .3.13 doesn't have any actual combat as far as i can see, though the results get published. i've seen interface mockups and such but curious if its gotten any further.

There is a tech demo that just tests graphical stuff, which you can see if you run FO from the command line with "--tech-demo". There might also be a menu option for launching in tech demo mode under Windows, but I'm not sure. There's also a lot of work that I've done on the server-side combat resolution and logic, and simple control over ship and fighter movements and orders-handling. This needs to be integrated into the tech demo so you can stage small battles to test the tech demo, but I haven't found the time to do so yet.

Quote:
need input...

All I can say for now is, "keep up the good work". ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:50 pm 
Offline
Graphics Lead Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Posts: 1924
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E
I wasn't talking about core developers, but all the other people frequenting the board(especially brainstorming). Here is a chance to incluence how actual game content is created and everybody ignores it. Tzlaine and Geoff have well-earned to take some time off.

Anyway, here are my thoughts about the sounds effects:

On re-listening with headphones, I noticed many subtilities, I didn't catch before. Sugar for the ears! :)

Explosions sound all great, especially on high volume

explosion-heavy1 - While being the longest, it's missing the initial bang
explosion-light1 - Sounds the most intense, even if it's the shortest. I like how it fades out.
explosion-med1 - Sounds like a good compromise of the other two.

fighters-launch - Pretty scary and impressive sounding. Reminds me a bit of WW1 airplanes with a sci-fi touch, which is a very nice!

All of the laser blaster sounds, have an beating sound at the beginning, which makes it sound like a mix of an energy weapon and a ballistic weapon(using an explosion). Considering your abilities, you must have done it intentionally and I'm wondering if can be toned down a little?

laser-blaster1 - Intense, but maybe a little too dry?
laser-balster2 - Sounds extremely powerfullly and better than number. The pulse/vibration is especially nice.
laser-blaster3 - Sounds good!

laser-phaser1 - Sounds like something is flying by first and then shooting.
laser-phaser2 - Much better! Really like it. The "re-charging" sound is a nice touch.

The following 3 should probably be devided in 2 sounds each. The sounds itself are nice.

missle-destruct
missile-hit
missile-hit1


missle-launch
- Very nice!

multiplepointfire1
- Made me giggle. Some nice point defense fire. I like how it fades out

pulsed-fire - Still like it a lot!

The following 2 radar sounds are my absolute favourites! So gorgeous!

radarsweep - The initial beep, sounds almost as if it is hesitating, which is so fitting.
radarweep2 - Nice suggestion of enhancement. There is an echo at the very end, that probably shouldn't be there.

shieldfizzle - Well done.
shieldfizzle1 - Wow, I'm running out of praisewords, but this one is so nice!

starlane1a - Sounds a tiny bit more intense than before, still love it of course! Should probably be devided in 2 sounds.

Sorry for my lack of proper terminology :) I'm going to upload the sounds as they are. If you decide to change some things, we can easily replace them. Feel free to delete the sounds from your server. I'm putting up a mirror in case someone else wants to comment: http://www.optisch-edel.de/fo/audio/scott/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:16 am 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Posts: 21
hi pd and everyone sorry to get back so late...

Quote:
I wasn't talking about core developers, but all the other people frequenting the board(especially brainstorming).


perhaps a cross post in brainstorming would be useful?

Quote:
Anyway, here are my thoughts about the sounds effects:

On re-listening with headphones, I noticed many subtilities, I didn't catch before. Sugar for the ears! :)

Explosions sound all great, especially on high volume

explosion-heavy1 - While being the longest, it's missing the initial bang

this is sort of on purpose - a number of very large explosions i've listened to seem to start out as a rolling curtain of noise/sound. i was also thinking of this being a capital ship destruct sound. i was imagining that smaller explosions could precede the ship destruct sound as various hits on the ship would build up to destruction. however, i can certainly try for an initial bang sound if desired.

Quote:
explosion-light1 - Sounds the most intense, even if it's the shortest. I like how it fades out.
explosion-med1 - Sounds like a good compromise of the other two.

fighters-launch - Pretty scary and impressive sounding. Reminds me a bit of WW1 airplanes with a sci-fi touch, which is a very nice!

All of the laser blaster sounds, have an beating sound at the beginning, which makes it sound like a mix of an energy weapon and a ballistic weapon(using an explosion). Considering your abilities, you must have done it intentionally and I'm wondering if can be toned down a little?


well, for the blaster sounds i tend to think of them starting with a pretty percussive base - think star wars. i am using a bit of explosive material within the sound but trying to shape it as a percussive element, as it's unrealism shows through if the envelope had more sustain. i can try to adjust the balance of one against the other, but i may likely not be able to completely re-create the original elements of the sound.

Quote:
laser-blaster1 - Intense, but maybe a little too dry?
laser-balster2 - Sounds extremely powerfullly and better than number. The pulse/vibration is especially nice.
laser-blaster3 - Sounds good!

laser-phaser1 - Sounds like something is flying by first and then shooting.

hmm - will look into that...

Quote:
laser-phaser2 - Much better! Really like it. The "re-charging" sound is a nice touch.

The following 3 should probably be devided in 2 sounds each. The sounds itself are nice.

missle-destruct
missile-hit
missile-hit1


missle-launch
- Very nice!

can certainly put these all in two parts no problem
Quote:

multiplepointfire1
- Made me giggle. Some nice point defense fire. I like how it fades out

pulsed-fire - Still like it a lot!

The following 2 radar sounds are my absolute favourites! So gorgeous!

radarsweep - The initial beep, sounds almost as if it is hesitating, which is so fitting.
radarweep2 - Nice suggestion of enhancement. There is an echo at the very end, that probably shouldn't be there.

shieldfizzle - Well done.
shieldfizzle1 - Wow, I'm running out of praisewords, but this one is so nice!

starlane1a - Sounds a tiny bit more intense than before, still love it of course! Should probably be devided in 2 sounds.


right - the entry and exit - i can do this...

Quote:
I'm putting up a mirror in case someone else wants to comment: http://www.optisch-edel.de/fo/audio/scott/


thanks much for the mirror. ill try to upload updated sounds as i can.

now, any other specific sound requests? i have been working on a few interface sounds here and there, nothing finalized. i've got some ideas and concepts to perhaps try. probably best to address this in which section - game design or brainstorming?

anyway, glad you liked the sounds - i did work on them for a bit of time, and i'm happy to do more, as my time allows.

best to all,

scott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:05 pm 
Offline
Graphics Lead Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Posts: 1924
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E
Personally, I would welcome more/different interface sounds, some of the current ones feel a little akward.

Some new sounds we could perhaps use:

- add and remove an item to the queue(research and production)
- add and remove a ship part to a slot

future combat interface:
- some kind of affirmation for an order (maybe different for movement, change in formation and attack? *)
- canceling an order
- combat won/lost

* these are probably hard to do at this stage, without knowing exactly what orders we'll be able to give


Can't think of anything else in regards to sounds, but we could also always use more music. I think the current track we have(artificial intelligence) is pretty well done and fits the game beautifully. But more variation is always good. Also, for combat it's probably a good idea to have something a little more aggressive


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 pm 
Offline
Space Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:32 pm
Posts: 318
Location: Finland
pd wrote:
This really deserves some attention and I wonder why nobody is providing some feedback?


One possible problem that people might have when commenting sounds is that since sounds usually are very closely connected to visuals in games, movies and TV series, it isn`t very easy to say something about a sound without seeing some sort of a visual image that is going to be attached to that sound.

Anyway here are my personal thoughts about these sounds:

My current favourites ( I have chosen those sounds here that in my opinion sound most suitable for a powerful and epic space battle) :

explosion-light1.wav (A nice, violent explosion. Might perhaps be used with ships that meet a sudden end, for example the ship`s missiles or power generator explodes suddenly, or when a missile or a bomb hits something)

laser-blaster2.wav (Nice and powerful beam weapon)

laser-phaser2.wav (A very refreshing kind of beam weapon)

missile-hit.wav (Could be used NOT AS A HIT SOUND, but perhaps as a missile launch sound, maybe a galactical, less loud and a quicker version of this very nice, real world rocket launching sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fj97-UckI )

multiple-pointfire1.wav ( A very clear and nice sound for fast pointfire weapons, I like this one very much)

pulsed-fire.wav ( Yet another refreshingly different beam weapon sound, very interesting)

radarsweep1.wav ( A very haunting kind of a radar sound, which would be nice to hear in a battle when you are searching for an unknown/stealthy enemy)

shieldfizzle.wav ( A nice little shieldfizzle sound)

shieldfizzle1.wav ( A more powerful fizzle that might be nice to hear when ship’s shields are hit by a powerful weapon and/or when ship`s shields are about to fail)

starlane1a.wav ( Has power, which is something that I at least would like to hear when space ships with enormously powerful engines enter/exit interstar travel)

fighters-launch.wav ( A nice and powerful fighter launch sound)

Opinions about a couple of other sounds:

explosion-heavy1.wav ( Might perhaps be nicer, if the interval between the explosions would be a bit longer. This way the sound would possibly match a more classical movie kind of a chain explosion that would allow the player to enjoy his/her victory over an enemy ship a bit longer)

laser-blaster1.wav ( A very quick sound that might be suitable for some beam weapons)

explosion-med1.wav ( A nice explosion sound that has an ending that at least to me sounds like the explosion really damaged/destroyed something)

missile-hit1.wav ( I really like the power that this sound has, again I am considering this for a missile launch sound, but this doesn`t sound fast enough for my taste as a galactical missile launch sound.)

I don`t know if my comments are helpful at all, since I have absolutely no experience in sound design, but here they are anyway.

_________________
What is your favourite alien species and WHY?
Preliminary thoughts about diplomacy
Some unfinished ideas for specials


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Posts: 21
thanks a lot for your input! it gives me a direction to head in at least. i have started to put together possible basic interface sounds. game wise, ive had very little exposure to space based games. sound wise, my influences are basically SMAC and a few moments spent playing Homeworld. that and tons of sci-fi movie and tv shows.

in response to the request for more musical material, i hereby offer my spaceballad march theme. it originally existed in a different form, but i revised it to lean more in a sci-fi direction with spacey sounds and added some Sturm und Drang orchestration to give it more of a romantic feel ala Christopher Franke/Babylon 5.

anyway, here's the link (.PD you can edit this once you've uploaded it to your mirror):

http://www.optisch-edel.de/fo/audio/sco ... evised.ogg

as far as more SFX go, it looks like there's rough consensus on a redo of the heavy explosion sound so i'll work on that, split up the missile FX and see what i can do for some basic interface sounds. this may take a bit of time, because i'm starting to get busy. i'll be gone most of august so i'll do what i can as i have time until then.

best to all,

scott


Last edited by pd on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
done :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group