Remastered Combat Sounds!

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Remastered Combat Sounds!

#1 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Took a break and time to move on! :D

I put in about the last hour or so in to remastering the combat sounds (like i said i would :wink: ).

I leveled and normalized them and removed there silence (there was a LOT of just silence). I also speed them up quite a bit! Most are under 1 second....I also tweaked with the pitch and I have A (high), B (Normal) and C (Low).

I have plenty of tools to tweak with the sounds more such as inverting them and such, i can also produce even higher and lower pitches if you want.

We have a much better and bigger variety of combat sounds now. I "may" also be able to play with them more and copy and paist them and create more sounds with the pieces that are there...maybe... I hope this motivates everyone. :)

Ill work on them a bit more tomorrow doing better fade outs and other minor tweaks for v2.0

Combat Sounds v1.0 (~14MB): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NK32XXOO

PS: Cheers to the guy/girl who put these together in the first place, they are pretty good!
Last edited by Dart00_Tech on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Re: Remastered Combat Sounds!

#2 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Ok, I got version 2 ready...I was tired last night and made a few mistakes.

There were a few duplicate pitches that i fixed and I broke the starlane one into 2 separate files.

Combat Sounds v2 (~14MB): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L14HSSR1

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A few comments:
* The explosions are too long
* The fighters launches are too long
* The "phaser" and "blaster" sounds are too similar
* The radar sweep sounds are two sounds, that would be better split
* Shield fizzle sounds a lot like a missile explosion
* Pulsed fire sounds like a variant single shot, not really a pulsing sound
* Multiple-point fire is... weird...?
* A lot of the sounds seem to me to be quite like a jet flying over... not really distinctive to their proposed role

I can't really comment on the normalizing / remastering, other than that nothing really sticks out as a problem, so I suppose that's good.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Phew....Ok, ill get right on it. :)

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Hey guys...im sorry for taking so long. The day after the last post I got really sick...But im finally starting to feel like myself again. :D

I was not able to address all your issues but i tried to get as many as i could:
Geoff the Medio wrote:* The explosions are too long
Fixed...They all are around or under 1 second.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* The fighters launches are too long
Fixed...Around or under 1 second.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* The "phaser" and "blaster" sounds are too similar
I tried to modify the phaser sound effect a bit to make it "phase" more.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* The radar sweep sounds are two sounds, that would be better split
I was able to split the first one but the second one has some reverb in it and was unable to split it cause the first "ping" holds though the entire sound.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* Shield fizzle sounds a lot like a missile explosion
I cropped these a bit to get my fizz and less boom.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* Pulsed fire sounds like a variant single shot, not really a pulsing sound
I spent about a hour on this and couldn't really do anything much better then what was there.
Geoff the Medio wrote:* Multiple-point fire is... weird...?
Sounds fine to me?
Geoff the Medio wrote:* A lot of the sounds seem to me to be quite like a jet flying over... not really distinctive to their proposed role
I removed the pitch variations cause I noticed the higher you move the pitch the more it sounds like a jet flying over which didnt work too well afterall.

So ya...Iv also been doing a lot of thinking and will post a few replies to a few topics when I get a second.

Combat Sounds v3 (~3MB): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TMQ3QD3B

metaphysician
Space Floater

#6 Post by metaphysician »

hey there - i'm the one who designed these sounds, so give me some feedback on any further changes you might need for these. i guess especially ones where the approach is sounding wrong rather than just adjusting length or pitch which i gather has now already been done.

scott

parametric
Space Krill

#7 Post by parametric »

metaphysician wrote:hey there - i'm the one who designed these sounds, so give me some feedback on any further changes you might need for these. i guess especially ones where the approach is sounding wrong rather than just adjusting length or pitch which i gather has now already been done.

scott
Hey, man.

One quick note (strictly from an audio standpoint since I've not yet played the game) on the version 2 sounds is that you can hear a lot of time stretching in them.

Examples:
explosion-light1_A
starlane1a_Part1_A
laser-blaster2_A

...is there a chance of re-designing these with the proper timings so that artifact can be eliminated?

metaphysician
Space Floater

#8 Post by metaphysician »

well, i'm not the one who did the revisions of the original sounds actually. can somebody give me an idea about what needed to be done for the Version 1 version of the sounds to work in the combat environment? i can probably shorten them fairly easily. lengthening might be an issue.

one general design tip to whoever is interested - NEVER use time compression/expansion unless it's to make something 10% longer or shorter - the artifacts show up almost instantaneously, especially on complex noise-oriented sounds.

PS - i'm really slammed with work at the moment but hoping to squeeze some time in within the next month or so.

scott

Gen_
Space Krill

#9 Post by Gen_ »

Any chance you can reupload them somewhere else, looks like the US government has stolen your stuff lol.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Gen_ wrote:Any chance you can reupload them somewhere else...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeori ... ds/Combat/

metaphysician
Space Floater

#11 Post by metaphysician »

hey folks, i'm back again, with a bit more time to spare to tackle these sounds for the Combat section. now, i'm fairly certain i have all of the original sound sources for my files so i can tailor them to the length that they need to be for the screen action.

in order to do this efficiently it would be really be the most helpful to see a recent playthrough video of the combat section. i know i can download the game myself, but i'm not sure if there's a way to just test combat actions or if i have to build up my forces through gameplay to get to that point. i must confess, i haven't played in quite a while. there's a video from two years ago with no sound. will that work?

one Question: the starlane action happens in regular play, right, not the combat section? one possibility you might consider is to play the spin up/spin down down sounds separately. spin up in current system, spin down in target system. just a thought.

let me know your thoughts on this.

scott

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There is no working 3D combat system to show, or much progress beyond what's in the 2 year old video on youtube.

I'm not sure what you're asking about with the starlane sounds... Most ship movement will never involve going into a separate screen; the player just orders ships to move and hits the turn button.