source audiofiles & ogg-vorbis

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Lyx
Space Kraken

source audiofiles & ogg-vorbis

#1 Post by Lyx »

Hi,

just wanted to ask if the contributors of audio-files also use ogg-vorbis for archiving their sources? If yes, then that may not be a so good idea. Not just because vorbis is a lossy format, but also because ogg-vorbis has a bug with high-frequency noise which can be very annoying to people who are sensitive to it(usually listening fatigue and in some rare cases even slight headaches).

I'm not writing this to bash vorbis, but because this "bug" which is now there since about 2 or more years, will probably be fixed in the next months. But if you guys(and girls) have your source-files already in ogg then you wont be able to correct your already encoded files once the bug is fixed.

I can post more technical details about the problem, and the current progress of it being fixed, if someone is interested.

- Lyx
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by LithiumMongoose »

In my case at least, I'm using external hardware modules for my synths and samples, so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info though, I didn't know that. :)

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

True

#3 Post by guiguibaah »

- I think we're stuck with .ogg wether we like it or not. I mean, unless everyone is up to the task of downloading a 40 megabytge .wav file for each song :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Lyx
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Lyx »

I was only talking about source-audiofiles (the "originals" which the composer keeps as backup). I was not talking about the "final" versions which get used in the game or for preview.
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

Hexxium
Space Floater

#5 Post by Hexxium »

It's always a bad idea to use a "lossy" format for the source files.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

interesting

#6 Post by guiguibaah »

Hey, whatever happened to Lyx? I just noticed these are the very few posts left that he didn't delete.

As for Ogg, yes I just noticed it. At lower quality renditions, they do have a small, high pitched 'fuzz' to them. I save all my compositions into 44000 kzh wav form, and if need be, re-record them from the souce .mid file.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#7 Post by StratCaster »

how do you convert mp3s to oggs? can anyone suggest a utility?

is it a winamp thing or does winamp just play them?
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

You don't want to convert an mp3 into an ogg. Both are lossy formats, so in doing so the ogg will always be of worse quality than the mp3 it came from. it's like photocopying a photocopied page.

You need to encode the ogg from the original source for the best quality.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#9 Post by StratCaster »

ah yes, gotta love that lossy...

so, how do I convert my wav/aiff/sd2 file?
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Good question!

#10 Post by guiguibaah »

For a source that is supposedly free (.ogg that is) I have yet to find a freeware / util that converts .wav to .ogg I've been constantly playing musical chairs over the sheer number to crappy shareware wav -> ogg converters before their trial periods expire. Irony is that I believe they share the same converting code, since all seem to have the same options.

If you can find a good freeware .ogg decoder, you'll be my hero for the day! Good luck!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by Tyreth »

Try the vorbis tools download from here for windows:
http://www.vorbis.com/download_win_1.0.1.psp

Or here for Linux:
http://www.vorbis.com/download_unix_1.0.1.psp

oggenc is the application you want.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Re: Good question!

#12 Post by Tyreth »

guiguibaah wrote: If you can find a good freeware .ogg decoder, you'll be my hero for the day! Good luck!
The one I provided is THE ogg encoder. It's made by the same group that created the ogg format, if I understand correctly.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#13 Post by StratCaster »

well I guess you are the hero of the day.... [insert Metallica tune here]

thanks...