Sound Effects

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
StratCaster
Space Kraken

#31 Post by StratCaster »

http://stratcaster.tripod.com/soundfx.zip

here's some sounds that I dabbled with. I could do more if we need them.

the filenames are self-explanatory.

Of course we still need someone to mix whichever sounds are used (in v0.3) so they sound like they come from the same place (the game). I noticed that some of Gui's sounds have reverb/delay on them.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by LithiumMongoose »

I can't download the file in that link, gives me a Tripod error page.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#33 Post by StratCaster »

that is strange...

it errors on me as well, but when I highlight the text and paste it into my Address bar and hit Enter it downloads the file fine... maybe I'm doing something wrong in the post... I did use the URL button...
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#34 Post by StratCaster »

ahh no, my bad... I can't do remote loading....another thing I can't do on my server...

but if you...paste:

stratcaster.tripod.com/soundfx.zip

into your address bar, it should be fine...

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#35 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Dang, so silly, allowing one but not the other...

Anyway, I like these Strat. Favorites are click1, distantexpl, menuitem, menuitemselect, and mouseoverfleet1.

notification1 and 2 are the right idea but too harsh sounding. Have yet to find click noises I really love though, how about something pneumatic sounding? :)

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#36 Post by tzlaine »

Alright, I finally got around to adding some sound to the game, and the zipfiles you guys posted are full of good sounds, but that doesn't really help me. I don't need the sounds themselves, which can be changed any time, so much as a sound design. Where should sounds go? What UI interactions should play sounds?

After we have defined the set of actions that provoke sounds, we can change the sounds used.

Remember when I wrote this?
Please don't just give me a big file with a lot of samples. I'm just a programmer. I need you to give me sounds and say "this one is for button clicks", "this one is for windows opening and closing", or whatever.
After that, I got two giant files full of sounds, with little indication what to do with them. So instead, how about this: give me a list of all UI actions that you want to have make a sound. Ignore for the moment which sounds should be played for each action.

I'll start. Here are the places I currently play sounds in the UI code I've modified:

1) Button Click - includes clicks on regular buttons, check boxes, radio buttons
2) Button Rollover - includes moving the mouse over regular buttons only
3) Item Select - selecting/deselecting an item in a drop-down list or listbox
4) Item Drop - dropping a drag-and-drop item into a listbox
5) Alert - when a warning or error message box pops up

That's it. The rest of the game is as silent as the dead. What else should make noise?

Again, please don't indicate particular sound files yet. Once I have all the sound-producing code changes in place, I'll make a build that you guys can use, in which you can easily change the sound files used. That way, you can play around with various sounds until you find the set of sounds files you like for all the actions we come up with. I forsee multiple sets of these sounds being distributed, sort of like Windows/KDE themes.

Zach

EDIT: I forgot Button Rollover

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#37 Post by StratCaster »

I know you don't want more sfx files... but I'm just posting them up here for feedback. I made a list of some events...I'll compile what we have so far and create a new thread for Sound Events.

my latest pneumatic sounding SFX....

paste:

stratcaster.tripod.com/pneumatic_sfx.zip

into your browser

also can be download from
http://stratcaster.tripod.com/

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Recent CVS D/L

#38 Post by guiguibaah »

For fun I D/L the recent CVS build. Since my compiling skils are about as sharp as rubber cement, I only pored through what was in the build. (Some interesting pics BTW - can't wait to see when 0.4 is released).

Anyhow, I noticed in the build that the planetary selection effects were omitted. Instead there's the default "Loud Clank". Was it done to preserve on DL space, or perhaps the sounds weren't up to snuff? Or perhaps they were omitted as the option wasn't too popular?

At any rate, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Bump

#39 Post by guiguibaah »

- Just adding a bump to my prevous post.

Also - Does anyone have a very good voice for doing voice overs? I was pondering the puting together of a list of individuals who could act as voice - over material for the project.

Have we also discussed the opportunity to have an in-game freeorion equivalent of a Red Alert EVA? (Or a Starcraft executrix, or a SMAC overseer) to say certain things like "Research complete", "Our system is under attack", "civil riots", etc)

Hopefully by end of this week (if my arm heals in time) I'll post some new planetary background .ogg's.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.